What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cheese and Sausage Strata

D

Dixie Girl

8 oz. hot bulk pork sasage
8 slices bread, crusts removed, cut into 1/2in cubes
12 oz Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
4 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp Dijon Mustard
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp salt
cayenne pepper to taste
3 tbs. butter, melted and cooled

Brown the sausage in a skillet over medium heat, stirring until crumbly. Remove and drain well. Lightly grease a 1 quart souffle dish and spread 1/3 of bread cubes in dish and sprinkle 1/3 of the cheese. Top with sausage, the remaining bread cubes and 1/3 of the cheese, press layers lightly.

Combine the eggs, milk, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt and cayenne pepper in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Pour over the layers and top with the remaining cheese. Drizzle the butter over it. Chill, covered, in refrigerator for 1 - 24 hours. Bring to room temperature. Place dish in a larger pan and fill pan halfway up with water. Bake at 350* for 1 - 1 1/4 hours or until golden brown and set. Yield: 4 servings

This is a delicious recipe and is good to make ahead and cook for Christmas morning breakfast:)

Julie

I like it because I can prepare it the night before and just pop it in the oven while Josh and I open presents. It allows me to enjoy "being in the moment" instead of the kitchen:)

Julie

That sounds unique..maybe I can try that at home..^ ^..I love sausage with cheese and ketchup in bread.

Back