What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moorish Crunch Salad

jfain

Unfortunatly I don't post that many recipes to the site. Since I don't feel right about offering a recipe I haven't tried and my recipes need to be gluten free so that leaves me out a lot of the time but I made this salad the other day and it was so delicious! I thought anyone looking for a different kind of side dish this holiday season might enjoy it.

Moorish Crunch Salad
Jamie Oliver

Serves 4 generously

10 ½ oz carrots, peeled
5 ½ oz radishes
2 crunchy eating apples
1 small handful of dark or white raisins
1 handful of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
1 handful of fresh mint, roughly chopped
4 Tlbs sherry or red wine vinegar
8 Tbls olive oil
1 Tbls tahini
sea salt and ground pepper
2 Tbls sesame seeds, toasted in the oven

First of all, finely slice your carrots into matchstick-sized batons. Finely slice your radishes-you can leave a little of the tops on if you like. Quarter your apples, remove the cores and finely slice. Add these to a bowl with the rest of the ingredients, apart from the sesame seeds. Toss together, carefully checking the seasoning and serve with the sesame seeds sprinkled over the top. Eat straight away.

Variations

Turn into a warm salad by adding some pan-seared chicken, shrimp or scallops which have been dusted with a little paprika.

Make it more of a snack by frying some halloumi cheese until golden with some chopped fresh chili and crumble this over the top

Grill some pita bread and serve stuffed with the crunch salad. Crumble in some feta cheese too. Lovely.

Grill some pita bread and serve stuffed with the crunch salad. Crumble in some feta cheese too. Lovely.
This would be most excellent, I am going to make it this way tomorrow, it sounds wonderful! Thank you for sharing Jfain, and feel freee to post all the gluten free recipes you'd like, we never know when we might have a guest that requires gluten free.

Wow- this indeed sounds yummy, jfain!

As a side-note... many folks are familiar with carrot-raisin salad that most just dress w/ mayo. But try whisking a bit of peanut-butter into your mayo then toss with the shredded carrots, raisins- and pineapple tidbits too, if u like... it's YUMMY!

Tahini is so healthy and delicious. Interesting mix.

Don't worry about gluten free. I've been on a super low sodium (1500 or less) diet for several years now. (Bad heart). I post recipes all the time which don't taste that bad for people without restrictions. So post away since we could all use some gluten free dishes. The salad sounds great BTW.

jfain - I made your salad last night. It was great and a very welcome change from the usual lettuce variety. I had a hard time suppressing the urge to add onion and a few Tbs of sour cream but I did. I didn't use the tahini though. I hate to ask this and show what a redneck I am but; What is tahini?

I forgot to add that I put about 1 Tbs of lemon juice in. Not to change your recipe jfain but I was worried about the sliced apple turning on me. BTW I cheated and brought out the ole box grater to do my slicing for me. I have the one that has the "mandelin" cuts on one side. Does apple and radishes fine. The course grate does the carrots.

peanut butter with mayo I am definitely trying that - on another note have you ever tried hot fries dipped into mayonnaise this is an acquired taste you must like mayo on practically everything you eat

peanut butter with mayo I am definitely trying that - on another note have you ever tried hot fries dipped into mayonnaise this is an acquired taste you must like mayo on practically everything you eat

When I worked in restaurants that served fries years ago- my fav thing was to grab a hand-full of them directly out of the hot grease (OUCH!) and immediately wrap a slice of American cheese around them and dip into mayo or blue cheese dressing as the cheese was beginning to slightly melt, and scarf-down. And then do it all again. As you might guess- it was around that time that I started earning my nickname- CHUBBY! :)

OMG - I've just made this thing again. I halved the recipe both times but it is so nice to have a carrot salad thats not saturated with mayo which means I can have as much as I want. I am going to try to get the recipe down to so many of each thing so I'm not weighing everything. I do have a 3Lb postal scale I use with my cooking that helps sometimes. It's self zeroing, meaning if you put a bowl with liquid on it it weighs the whole thing but if you put the bowl on before you turn it on it zeros out and just weighs what you pour into it.

Back