What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CrockPot Recipes for those of us always on the go

mikaty9

BARBECUE CHICKEN II
4-6 pieces chicken (I use boneless breasts)
1 bottle BBQ sauce
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. mesquite seasoning
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2-1 tsp. red pepper flakes
Mix BBQ sauce with all ingredients listed under it. Place chicken in
crockpot. Pour sauce over all. Cook slowly in crockpot about 4-6 hours.
Serve with baked beans, potato salad and coleslaw.
NOTE: Since this didn't specify whether it should be on high or low, the
first time I cooked on high for 5 hours. The chicken was dry as dirt :
( The 2nd time, I cooked it on low for 4 1/2 hours and it was perfect.:)

here is another 1 for ya

BARBECUE PORK ROAST
1 pork roast (or beef)
Juice of 1 lemon
1 small onion, cut up
1 teaspoon sugar
1 bottle barbecue sauce
Cook roast covered in water (start with hot water) in crockpot
overnight on low 10-
12 hours. Pour off water and pull meat into shredded pieces. Saute
onion in a little butter. Combine barbecue sauce, onions, sugar and
juice of lemon with meat in crockpot and cook on high for 1 1/2 to 2
1/2 hours, or on low for 3 to 6 hours.

BRUNSWICK STEW
1 Chicken, 3 lbs, cut up
2 quarts Water
1 Onion, chopped
2 cups Ham; cooked, cubed
3 Potatoes, diced
Page 26 of 245 Crockpot Recipes
2/16/2003 e-book://Pages/crockpot_recipes.htm
2 cans Tomatoes; 16 oz, ea, cut up
10 ounces Lima beans, frozen and thawed
10 ounces Corn; whole kernel, frozen, partially thawed
2 teaspoons Salt
1 teaspoon Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Seasoned salt
In a slow cooker/Crock Pot combine chicken with water, onion, ham,
amd potatoes. Cook covered on LOW for 4
to 5 hours or until chicken is done. Lift chicken out of pot; remove
meat from bones. Return chicken meat to pot.
Add tomatoes, beans, corn, salt, seasoned salt, sugar and pepper.
Cover and Cook on HIGH 1 hour.
Makes 8 servings.

I love cooking in our crockpot! Thank you so much for the recipes. :p

Matter of fact tonight we had a Pork Roast and sweet potatoes I cooked in the ole' crockpot. I wrapped the sweet potatoes in foil and placed them beside the roast. The roast I placed upon a rack as I did not want to submerge it in fluid, just wanted to roast it. I only placed perhaps 1/2 cup water in and just had enough drippings to make a gravy when I got home. It turned out so delicious, tender and juicy!!!

I love cooking in our crockpot! Thank you so much for the recipes. :p

Matter of fact tonight we had a Pork Roast and sweet potatoes I cooked in the ole' crockpot. I wrapped the sweet potatoes in foil and placed them beside the roast. The roast I placed upon a rack as I did not want to submerge it in fluid, just wanted to roast it. I only placed perhaps 1/2 cup water in and just had enough drippings to make a gravy when I got home. It turned out so delicious, tender and juicy!!!

now that sounds delicious i think i will give it a try thanks Cathy

Black Eyed Peas With Smoked Sausage

1 pound smoked sausage -- or kielbasa or andouille sausage
1 pound black-eyed peas -- dried (you can also use canned)
1 medium onion -- chopped
2 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
water
salt and pepper -- to taste

If using dried beans soak for 4 or more hours, drain and rinse.

Slice sausage into rounds. Combine with black eyed peas, onion, garlic, and Cajun seasoning in the crock pot.

Add water until beans and sausage are just covered. If using dried beans, add enough so that the beans and sausage are submerged by 1-2 inches of liquid. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Cook on low for 4-6 hours. I would suggest an additional 2 hours if using dried beans.

Source: RecipeZaar Recipe #307705

Of course you cannot mention crockpot recipes without mentioning this website: A Year of CrockPotting

Nice recipe ideas, mikaty9!

I enjoy using my crock-pot, too. Not because I necessarily think it's the optimum way to cook foods- but because as a single guy, coming home after a day away to the intense aroma of food cooking is the next-best thing to having a devoted mate who lovingly prepares meals to be done in time for my return home! I don't feel quite so "single" when I use the crock pot! (and Lordy, let me tall ya- if I get BOTH crock pots out- by the time I come home and smell the competing aromas of simmering stuff- I damn near feel like a Utah polygomist! Ha!)

Black Eyed Peas With Smoked Sausage

1 pound smoked sausage -- or kielbasa or andouille sausage
1 pound black-eyed peas -- dried (you can also use canned)
1 medium onion -- chopped
2 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
water
salt and pepper -- to taste

If using dried beans soak for 4 or more hours, drain and rinse.

Slice sausage into rounds. Combine with black eyed peas, onion, garlic, and Cajun seasoning in the crock pot.

Add water until beans and sausage are just covered. If using dried beans, add enough so that the beans and sausage are submerged by 1-2 inches of liquid. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Cook on low for 4-6 hours. I would suggest an additional 2 hours if using dried beans.

Source: RecipeZaar Recipe #307705

Of course you cannot mention crockpot recipes without mentioning this website: A Year of CrockPotting

Darn CanMan are you a man after my own heart or what:confused::) I LOVE BLACKEYED PEAS!!!!:p And being southern of-course it is a tradition to eat them on New Years day!!! Yummy thanks for posting and the great web-site info on crockpotting! And Merry Christmas to you my dear forum friend:)

Thank you can man for the great site about crock pot cooking. I'm so excited about the prospect of crockpot tamales! I've always just steamed them but crockpoting seems like a great technique for making them.

Well time for me to "fess-up" :eek:

I use my crockpot in very unconventional ways: for example I have a small crock (from a fondue set) that fits very nice down inside my family size crockpot and I often cook multiple items in my crockpot so as to have a complete meal cooked when I get home. I also mentioned how I use a steamer basket to bake foods in the crockpot unsubmerged in liquid.

Some examples of this would be: in the small crock I place baked beans then put the unfold the steamer aparatus and place it over the crock containing the baked beans and on that I pile a small ham wrapped in foil. I recommend ya' all to give it a try!

That is an awesome website that CanMan referred us to Jfain! I wish I would have thought of using it for tamales myself!!!;)

Thank you can man for the great site about crock pot cooking.
You're welcome. I'm sorry some of you did not know about the website earlier. I've been following this lady for a year and its going to be sad when she reaches 365. Hopefully she will continue to experiment.

CCC, if you want to be 'unconventional' you may have to do better than that.
07.gif

Have you ever put a frozen whole chicken in your crockpot, turned it on low, and left it for 8-10 hours? Works great for Cornish Game Hens which I always forget to thaw in advance so they used to sit in the freezer for years.

Put aluminum foil balls in the bottom of your crockpot when you want to 'roast' something. The balls keeps your meat out of the juice. You can also do it by wrapping potatoes in aluminum foil with the same result.

I use my 4-cup 'crockette' for making Irish Oatmeal. Put it in before going to bed and in the morning you have perfectly made oatmeal. No slaving over the stove.

Use it for a bun warmer and it won't dry out your bread.

Yet to try is as a smoker using wood chips.

23.gif

Last edited:
I just came across this recipe. Have not tried it yet, but its gone on my list:

Crockpot Meatloaf

2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
2 slices stale bread -- cubed
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1/4 cup ketchup
8 medium carrots -- cut into 1-inch chunks
8 small red potatoes

Beat eggs and milk in a mixing bowl. Stir in bread cubes, onion, salt and pepper. Then add beef and mix well, and shape into a round loaf.

Place loaf in bottom of crockpot. Pour Ketchup over topo. Arrange carrots around the loaf, and place potatoes on top of carrots (peel a strip around the center of each potato). Cover; cook on high 1 hour, then reduce to low and cook 7 hours more.

CanMan you're great!!!

Well CanMan what can a girl do to trump that?!? And frozen at that:confused: Last time I put a frozen roast in my crock pot it cracked it thru and thru cold on hot surface:eek: that is how I learned to use the steamer basket to place stuff on believe it or not, didn't want to crack my new crock;)

CanMan I LOVE your art work and thank you for the beautiful Merry Christmas wishes!!!! I wish I knew as much about importing pictures and such as you do:( I am still "semi-computer illiterate" :eek: Oh well what's a woman to do??? Go back to school and take a computer course? No time for that.... Do an on-line course:confused: I do not even know if they have such!

And a crockpot meatloaf I am most def. going to give that one a try!!!! Thanks for sharing!

Sorry to hear you cracked your pot. Did you put it on HIGH perhaps. Always use LOW and start with a room temperature pot. The gradual increase in heat defrosts the food rather quickly and should not cause a shock to the pot.

You also don't want to stuff the pot with cold/frozen stuff since the density may delay the heat penetration and allow time for bacteria to form.
Common sense prevails.

Sorry to hear you cracked your pot. Did you put it on HIGH perhaps. Always use LOW and start with a room temperature pot. The gradual increase in heat defrosts the food rather quickly and should not cause a shock to the pot.

Common sense prevails.

You are right about common sence! I do not remember for sure if I put the roast in on high setting, I probably did and since the roast was frozen:eek: But back then I did not even think about the hot on cold thing!:rolleyes: Live & Learn!!! And then.......I once put my stuffed Lebanese grape leaves in the crockpot but the darned setting I placed on warm, not high nor low!!!! So all that lovely meat sat on warm the entire day, so when I got home and realized my mistake I cooked with it on high all night to kill bacteria and ate it, and it was just fine. Shew-w-w that was a close one, and it being chicken pieces and ground beef I am lucky it did not spoil! I know...I know I am not in the habit of taking chances, but have you ever prepped grape stuffed leaves? Lots of intensive time consuming work involved!

Last edited:
No grape leaves in my pantry. At least we are providing everyone with a list of things NOT to do with their crockpot perhaps. :D

???Question Regarding Crock Pot Gravy???

Has anyone ever used Tapioca as a thickening agent when making a pot roast in the crock pot? I'm not sure of what amount to use with what amount of liquid. I have heard Tapioca works excellent as a thickening agent and will not loose it's gravy consistency over long period of cooking time like flour or corn starch will. I'd appreciate any advice advice.

I don't know how Tapioca holds up on long periods of cooking. I do know it is used as a quick repair thickener. Personally I prefer ClearJel® which does not breakdown with heat.

Back