What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gravy Question For Crock Pot Users

The Ironic Chef

Has anyone ever used Tapioca as a thickening agent when making a pot roast in the crock pot? I'm not sure of what amount to use with what amount of liquid. I have heard Tapioca works excellent as a thickening agent and will not loose it's gravy consistency over long period of cooking time like flour or corn starch will. I'd appreciate any advice advice.

Wasn't this question asked in another thread? If you you Tapioca I would start with a Tablespoon and then add more until the desired thickness is achieved. I have no experience about Tapioca not breaking down eventually over continued cooking. I prefer using ClearJel®.

The question is also on the Crock pot thread Can Man. I thought it would be better to post it here on the questions thread also.
I saw a cooking show awhile back. I think It was Americas test Kitchen on PBS. One of my favorite shows till they went to Cooks Country.
On the show they suggested Minute Tapioca for a thickening agent for crock pot gravies. They did try the ClearJel®. and didn't get the same results.

I'm am trying to research the use of the Minute Tapioca.

Tapioca is useful for thickening the juices in fruit pies and for thickening gravies in crockpot dishes where regular gravies tend to breakdown. Instant-type tapioca such as MINUTE® Tapioca can be used as a substitute for flour or cornstarch to thicken stews, gravies, soups, pies, etc. As a thickener, if the MINUTE® tapioca is allowed to soak approximately 5 minutes in the liquid prior to being heated, it allows the beads to swell and soften and maximizes its thickening quality. At least one other company, Reese, makes an instant-type tapioca that can be substituted for MINUTE® Tapioca in recipes with the same results.

I guess I'll search The Americas Test Kitchen data base and see what I can dig up.
Thanks for responding.

Chatty, I usually make my gravy after doing a pot roast in the crock pot on top the stove in a sauce pan with the liquid from the crock pot. My crock pot doesn't bring the temperature up high enough to make a gravy thick enoigh to my liking.
I thought it would be interesting to attempt a gravy in the crock pot because I do like meat cooked in a gravy. Like Salisbury steaks, Swedish meat balls,Stews ect. I'm also a big fan for hot open faced sandwiches using left over roast or poultry. Slow cooking left overs in a gravy sounds very appealing to me. Crock pot casseroles slow cooked using a gravy for a sauce instead of using cream of mushroom or chicken soup just makes it more home made.
Honestly, lol. I like to try new things and using the Tapioca has sparked my interest and it's something I want to try.

I think you're right about the wonderful taste of meats cooked in gravy and I agree 100%!!! I have tried cooking gravy with the meat in a crockpot using the cream of mushroom soup before the results have not been very delightful. Maybe you're onto something with the tapioca there, if you have a successful outcome please do share it with us!:) Good Luck on this one and let us know!

Also I might suggest...if at all possible try the 4-5 hour cooking time on your first attempt at this, then advance to the longer cooking time as you prefect it. My meat was dried out and tasteless even with all the added garlic and seasonings and the flavor of the cream of mushroom did not even soak into the meat at all, actually wound up not eating much at all and wound up throwing the meat (boneless pork ribs) out:(.

Chatty, I usually make my gravy after doing a pot roast in the crock pot on top the stove in a sauce pan with the liquid from the crock pot. My crock pot doesn't bring the temperature up high enough to make a gravy thick enoigh to my liking.
I thought it would be interesting to attempt a gravy in the crock pot because I do like meat cooked in a gravy. Like Salisbury steaks, Swedish meat balls,Stews ect. I'm also a big fan for hot open faced sandwiches using left over roast or poultry. Slow cooking left overs in a gravy sounds very appealing to me. Crock pot casseroles slow cooked using a gravy for a sauce instead of using cream of mushroom or chicken soup just makes it more home made.
Honestly, lol. I like to try new things and using the Tapioca has sparked my interest and it's something I want to try.

Back