What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is your favorite Christmas salad?

Mine has traditionally been a Bloody Mary with a carrot stick along with the celery stick and, because of the holidays, I use a toothpick to stick two green olives and one black olive on the end the celery stick (Black olive in the middle of course). Can't get your veggies much nicer than that during the holiday.

Green Jello Waldorf Salad

Green Jello Waldorf Salad

2 Packages of Green Jello. (Lime)
2 cups boiling water
1 1/2 cups cold water
1 cup diced apples
2 diced bananas splashed with lemon juice
2 stalks of chopped celery
1/2 cup of chopped walnuts

Dissolve Jello in boiling water. Add the cold water. Chill until very thick but not set. About an hour. Gently stir in the remaining ingredients. Put the entire mixture into a mold, I use my Bundt pan, let set up in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Remove from mold. A little hot water on the outside of the Bundt pan helps for easy release.

It's a little different but I enjoy it. I'm a jello addict. I have made this using sparkling cider instead of water and was very pleased with the results.

IC this sounds good, I was actually tossing around the idea of a Waldorf Salad and this sounds like a nice twist on the traditional Waldorf Salad! Hey anybody remember Carrot Salad? My grandmother used to make it, you hardly hear of it these days!

Mine has traditionally been a Bloody Mary with a carrot stick along with the celery stick and, because of the holidays, I use a toothpick to stick two green olives and one black olive on the end the celery stick (Black olive in the middle of course). Can't get your veggies much nicer than that during the holiday.

Great Salad there CanMan:D

I love greek salad... not soo much christmas salade thought..

I love all the salads mentioned here! (You go, CanMan!)

Like janie, one of my FAV go-to salads is a large Caesar with anything thrown in from chicken to shrimp, smoked salmon, even ham. I also make a "White Tie Salad" where I use half romaine (or fresh spinach leaves) and cooked bow-tie pasta. YUM!

My FAV Jell-O Salad is the same mold my Mom made when I was a boy: Orange Jell-O, 2 cans of drained mandarin oranges and a whole, small container of cottage cheese. YUMMY!

This thread started for Christmas 2008. Well I'm going to add (for Christmas 2009) jfain's "Moorish Crunch Salad" but with one Red Delicious and one Granny Smith apple just to add more color to it. -John-

For New Years though it will be Cathy's first salad "Mandarin/Pineapple" however Cathy I don't have a recipe - hint -

Last edited:

Now this is great. He has tomato, carrot, celery, two types of olives and depending on where that unnamed clear liquid was made, probably potato. That friends just about covers most of the basic food groups.

Pears and cranberries :-9

Sweet Cranberry & Pear Tossed Salad

3 fresh pears (1 lb.), cut into 3/4-inch cubes, 1/2 cup prepared GOOD SEASONS Italian Dressing Mix divided, 6 cups torn mixed salad greens, 1/2 cup chopped PLANTERS Walnuts toasted, and 1/2 cup dried cranberries
TOSS pears with 1/4 cup dressing. Let stand 15 min.
COMBINE greens, nuts and cranberries in large bowl.
ADD pear mixture and remaining dressing; toss lightly. Serve immediately.

I don't think I've had that salad before. Sounds good. Who knows, I probably ate it when I was a kid and didn't pay attention.
Does anyone have a salad dressing they always have in their fridge?

I always have a buttermilk ranch dressing.

I have two favorite Bistro salads, Cobb & Chef....
ttl_inset_salads.jpg

Sounds like a good salad to me!!!

I like extra-thick Marie's Bistro Bleu Cheese Dressing.

I also always have an assortment of vinegars and oils on hand, and I'm famous for taking a nearly-empty jar of mustard or honey, or ketchup or dill pickle juice or salsa or jelly and adding a few ingedients to it- shaking it all up real good and calling it "salad dressing"! :)

Somehow, in my mind, Christmas and salad just don't go together for me.

My Christmas table is loaded with proteins, carbohydrates, and fats. There's no room left for something as healthy as a salad! ;)

Back