What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick breakfasts

M

Mrs. Chipotle

So we have a thread on "your favorite breakfast" - I thought it would be nice to get some ideas on quick, on the run breakfasts. Let's face it, that's what we all have to settle for much of the time.

For a long while I was into the packets of instant oatmeal. I would get hot water in a cup at work, mix the oatmeal, and I was ready. I kept a couple of packages of different flavors around. This also doubled as an afternoon snack now and then.

Sometimes I will make toast (regular or cinnamon) to eat in the car. Sometimes I have a banana.

I try to drive through McDonalds as rarely as possible. :D

If you have access to a microwave at work, you could always make a bunch of breakfast burritos and freeze them. If you don't want to eat one while driving you could nuke it at work! It's difficult getting a fast on-the-run breakfast. Usually its bagels, cereals or granola bars or a piece of fruit. But any of that is much better than the McDonald's thing! McD's on occasion is ok - but I couldn't do it daily! I also enjoy cottage cheese with fruit. It's easy to eat at your desk.

Well, not super quick, but it's pretty easy. I like CoCoWheats for a nice hot breakfast or some Strawberry Toaster Strudel. Otherwise, I'll take a bowl of Lucky Charms of some Wheat Chex. Most of the time I'm not able to eat it in time before the milk makes cereal soggy so I eat it dry with a glass of milk.

I used to make breakfast smoothies (banana, some powdered Carnation Instant Breakfast mix, milk, maybe some berries) all the time. Very good.

My kids love muffins for breakfast, particularly mini-muffins. They also like fruit/cereal bars.

I do lots of instant oatmeal and grits with add-ins here at work because it quick and stores easy. I throw in a hand full of raisns to my oatmeal or extra cheese to my grits to just give them a little extra.

I do my own Egg McMuffins at home, I just cook up on egg white and a piece of canadian bacon and 2% cheese to a whole wheat muffin.

I was mentioning in another thread how I sometimes make a batch of waffles and keep in the fridge. Then I just heat up what I want to eat that day. I can eat those in the car (Without syrup, of course!).

I always like to munch on frozen waffles. It's goofy, but they taste pretty good that way. No syrup of course that way either.

Frozen waffles are great, but I've recently fallen in love with cereal bars. I don't really eat them that much for breakfast, though, I usually eat one before I go to sleep (odd, aye?)

I don't love the cereal bars, but I do enjoy granola bars now and then.

They're so dry though. I have to have a big glass of water when I eat them.

Chocolate Fudge Pop-Tarts seem to be the staple of my breakfast most mornings. Of course, I prefer to have eggs and bacon with toast, but time just doesnt permit.

I never cared too much for the Smores poptarts. Real smores are pretty good though.

Two eggs microwaved for 35seconds each and two pieces of toast take about 3min total.

I like the S'mores pop tarts. Mmmm.....

Those are great! I remember the first time I had one, it was great. I think if you eat both of them (because there are two in each package), it starts to taste, err, not as good.

I'm really bad about not eating breakfast, because I'm too tired to think, and I have to get out the door. Lately I've been eating some really good cheese bagels with cream cheese. Or I just grab a pacakge of string cheese and some grapes and that's it.

Can you tell I like cheese? :p

How about a make-ahead breakfast for special days??

MAKE AHEAD - BACON AND EGG LASAGNA

This dish can be prepared the night before or early in the morning!

1 lb. bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 c. chopped onions
1/3 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
4 c. milk
Vegetable oil or nonstick cooking spray
12 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
12 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
2 c. (8 oz.) shredded Swiss cheese
1/3 c. grated Parmesan
2 T. fresh parsley, chopped

In large skillet, cook bacon until crisp; drain; reserve 1/3 c. drippings from pan. Set bacon aside; add onions to pan drippings and cook until tender; add flour, salt and pepper - stir to make a paste. Add milk; cook, stirring, until misture comes to a boil and is thickened.

Oil or spray 13 X 9-inch baking pan. Spoon a small amount of the sauce into the bottom of the pan.

Divide lasagna noodles, bacon, white sauce, eggs and Swiss cheese into thirds; layer in pan. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

To bake - preheat oven to 350* F. Bake, covered, 25 minutes; uncover and bake 15 to 20 minutes longer or until heated through and top is lightly browned.

Garnish with parsley and serve.

Those are great! I remember the first time I had one, it was great. I think if you eat both of them (because there are two in each package), it starts to taste, err, not as good.

I agree completely. Two poptarts are too many.

Eat one, and save the other for a snack, or for the next morning.

I like those granola bars called Natures Valley. Those are sooo good to me. I also like homemade smoothies. Yumm! Oh and french toast sticks too. Those are always a quick breakfast. I prefer the ones with extra cinnamon.

Back