What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pumpkin

M

Mrs. Chipotle

I love pumpkin. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin spice donuts (from Krispy Kreme), pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin cakes and cookies...

So why on earth can you only find pumpkin things in the fall? Doesn't it taste just as good all year round?

Yes, you can cook your own pumpkin recipes anytime with the wonders of canned pumpkin, but alas, Starbucks only has the pumpkin lattes in Oct/Nov.

I love pumpkin, too! My dad and I used to make pumpkin pies in summer. Every once in a while I'll see one of the local grocery stores making them in the summer, too. Who wouldn't like pumpkin pie in summer? I always keep it in the fridge and top it with cool whip. It tastes best ice cold - perfect for summer!

I'm always disappointed that the pumpkin doughnuts at Krispy Kreme are seasonal as I tend to go about once a month to our local store. And pumpkin ice cream from Cold Stone creamery with some chocolate chips or whipped topping, mmmmm.

Do you have a SuperTarget by you? Ours had these awesome pumpkin and chocolate chip cookies this fall. They were so great warmed a little in the microwave, I'm waiting and waiting for that time of year to roll around and buy them again.

I agree - I love pumpkin! and I love all types of pumpkin dishes and baking!

These are good if you would like to try them:

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies

* 1 cup shortening
* 2 cups white sugar
* 2 eggs
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
* 4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 pinch ground nutmeg
* 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
* 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and white sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Stir in the vanilla and pumpkin until well blended. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; stir into the pumpkin mixture. Mix in the chocolate chips. Stir in the walnuts if desired. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheets.
3. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until edges begin to brown. Allow to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheets before removing to wire racks to cool completely.

By the way - I don't know if there are any fans out there of bread puddings - BUT - try substituting Krispy Kreme's pumpkin donuts for bread in the recipe!!!

Mrs. Chipotle said:
So why on earth can you only find pumpkin things in the fall? Doesn't it taste just as good all year round?

You can get it canned at the grocery store and make your own pumpkin things.

Pumpkin is a long season crop and takes 120+ days to raise. It's a funny business, as they only sell in the fall, and around here in Maryland, you'll see them just going to waste in the fields.

There's this Punkin Chunkin contest on the Delmarva peninsula where they try to use up the waste pumpkins by shooting the pumpkins as far as possible using all kinds of crazy machines. Cannons, catapults, etc.

Check out the Punkin Chunkin Results page. Last years record was 4,331 feet, almost a mile. Oh-my-god :)

Holy mother of Moses, look at this thing. That seems like a lot of effort just to play with pumpkins. Look they're wearing hard hats :)
2005GunPicNoText.JPG

Last edited:
Boys and their toys :)

That's a pretty large pumpkin on the bottom left of the picture. Certanly would make a few pumpkin pies.

I know you can find canned pumpkin all the time, but my homemade donuts and ice cream just don't do justice to Krispy Kreme and Marble Slab.

Maybe it gives us something to look forward to? I know, for instance, that we probably wouldn't appreciate girl scout cookies nearly as much if they were available all year round.

I love pumpkin pie!! Never really thought "why don't they have it all year round?" I always just looked forwards to thanksgiving dinner so i could have some. I'm really craving some now; i think i'll make a pie this week. :D

I love pumpkin as well. I'm excited that fall is around the corner so all the yummy seasonal pumpkin foods will soon appear.

Of course, I'm also excited for fall because I'm tired of the 100+ degree days here in TX. But that's another thread. :D

I don't like pumpkin itself, but I like cooked pumpkin seeds. I haven't had them is so long, this thread reminded me of my love for them.

I have never eaten pumpkin seeds. Do you roast them? Season them?

Texas Rose -

Will this help??

PUMPKIN SEEDS

Extract sees from pumpkin.
Separate and discard pulp.
Thoroughly wash seeds in warm water.
Spread seeds out onto a cookie sheet.
Sprinkle generously with salt.
Put into oven and bake at 350* F. approximately 20 minutes.
Check every five minutes and stir, adding more salt or to taste.
Check seeds to see if they are done by taking a sample out, allowing to cool and tasting. If the insides are dry, they are done.
Allow to cool and serve.

VARIATIONS:

Cheesy Pumpkin Seeds- sprinkle with Cheesy popcorn seasoning.
Tex-Mex Style- Sprinkle powdered Taco seasoning onto the seeds. This is better mixed in a bowl first. Add more red pepper powder for a really hot seed!
Cajun style- Mix seeds in a bowl with a packet of Cajun seasonings mix. If you like it really spicy, add extra hot sauce.
Garlic Salt- REALLY GOOD!

Every year I forget how much I like pumpkin until the fall rolls around. This year I discovered a small little custard place that has the best pumpkin custard and mixes bits of pie crust down into it...as much as I love it, it's probably a REAL good thing they only sell it Oct & Nov!

I'm thinking about making pumpkin waffles for Christmas morning. Has anyone had them before? Are they any good (I can't imagine they wouldn't be)

All this pumpkin talk has rekindled my craving for pumpkin pie... Maybe I'll grab one of the premade ones at WalMart & some Cool Whip. I just LOOOOOOVE pumpkin pie. I ate a whole pie, by myself over Thanksgiving weekend. Isn't that just horrible of me??

Speaking of all that pumpkin pie, hubby told me about his grandmother making them completely from scratch, none of this canned pumpkin stuff for her. :eek: I told him that in a couple of years, when both of the little ones are old enough to help or keep themselves occupied for a couple hours at a time, I'd be willing to TRY to make them like she did. I said try, because with my luck, they'd be a complete flop.

I was watching Take Home Chef the other day and Curtis made pumpkin pies from scratch. I've never done one like that, but it didn't look THAT hard. He had men (FIREmen *whew*) helping him and they managed just fine, so I figure if I had the patience (and not a 10 month old tugging at my leg), I could probably handle it. I'm sure you'd make an excellent pie, too :)

I don't like pumpkin itself, but I like cooked pumpkin seeds. I haven't had them is so long, this thread reminded me of my love for them.

We dont have pumpkin seeds here but squash seeds are very popular here and also watermelon seeds. It's a beer match. And yes they are roasted and seasoned.

I absolutely love pumpkin! Ive seen alot of recipes on the internet for it but here in Australia I have never even seen one let alone ate it!
Im going to have to make one so I can see what everyone is raving about! I have high expectations of pumpkin pie now lol.

I love pumpkin scones but my favourite is baked pumpkin with crispy edges! Yum!

Back