What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Very Best Beef Stew I ever tasted!!!

Red Wine Beef Stew

1 pkg beef stew meat [I cut each cube into 4 cubes]
4 tbsp. flour
1 3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 tbsp. veg. oil
1 cup dry red wine
2 14 1/2 oz cans beef broth
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1 bay leaf [I used 2]
1 turnip root
1 8 oz pkg. mushrooms [I used sliced portabella's]
1 pkg baby carrots

Use a heavy bottomed Dutch Oven to cook the stew in, start by
dredging the stew meat in flour miixed with the salt, paprika, and pepper then brown the meat in veg. oil in small batches until well browned. As each batch gets done set meat aside. When done browning beef add the wine, broth, thyme, and bay leaf to the Dutch Oven and stir well while bringing to a boil lower heat add beef to pot and simmer on low heat for 1 hour after an hour add carrots, peeled and cubed turnip roots, and mushrooms. Cook for another hour to hour 1/2, remove bay leaf and serve.

Can be served over a bed of rice or mashed potatoes I think it would even be wonderful in a french or sour dough bread bowl!

Last edited:
Excellent Idea IC:) I actually had ours over mashed potatoes tonight! The wine, turnip and carrots just give the best flavor to this dish. I save my broths from when I crockpot roasts and so I used broth from both a beef roast and a pork roast, a great tasting broth sure helps make the dish taste great as well.

I just made beef stew yesterday. Very close to your recipe and
delicious.

My baby sister from Vermont called me to let me know she finally made this and OH MY GOSH did she ever love it!!! Well duh, like I told her why'd ya' wait so long to make it??? She told me she will never make stew any other way from now on. Like me she said she skipped the thickening the stew at the end.

This is very close to how I make mine. After I remove the meat, I throw in some chopped onions, then after a minute some garlic to flavor the oil, then I throw in the wine.

I also let it cook low and slow after that, in the oven for about 4 - 5 hours at 225... The meat is soft as butter.. MMM MMM Good.. :)

Yes soooo tender and delicious! If you like turnip roots and carrots they taste so complementary of one another, I love the combo of the two! It is different from having potato in your stew, and a pleasant difference.

I make beef stew often. I use cubed potatos instead of turnips (nobody here likes turnips) and I don't use wine since I share it with my parents. My Dad has hepatitis and can't have any alcohol, not even a trace. I also like to add corn.

Bubba I certainly can understand the whole thing of not wanting to use wine for your Dad's health!

I thought the alcohol cooked off when you use it to cook with:confused: am I correct? Or would it still be unadviseable to use in a case like this? Any input on this?

Yes soooo tender and delicious! If you like turnip roots and carrots they taste so complementary of one another, I love the combo of the two! It is different from having potato in your stew, and a pleasant difference.

You know what else goes good in stew? Parsnips. I have been using them more and more. I know it is nothing new, but for me it is. :) Love that flavor.

.I thought the alcohol cooked off when you use it to cook with:confused: am I correct? Or would it still be unadviseable to use in a case like this? Any input on this?

From what my Dad's doctor said there always remains a trace of the alcohol and in Dad's case even that small trace is too much. For most people it doesn't matter but in Hepatitis cases it does.

Back