What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cheese

M

Mrs. Chipotle

So if you were going to have a cheese tray or wine/cheese party or some such, what are some cheeses to use?

I know some say you should have a variety including soft cheese (Brie?), harder cheese (Cheddar, Asiago, Parmesan), a blue cheese, a goat cheese, etc.

Who knows about cheese? :D

For a cheese tray - just about any type would work well. I have always used an extra sharp white Cheddar, sharp Cheddar, Fontinella, aged Provolone, baby Swiss, etc. I would try to make the trays look colorful with the different types of cheeses and I always put out different types of olives as well. Also different types of gourmet crackers and some breadsticks. For some occasions I have also had sliced pepperoni, beef stick, etc.

I don't know a lot about cheeses but my boyfriend and our two daughters have been cheese freaks lately. They really like the spreadable soft cheeses under the Laughing Cow brand. There are several varieties. I tried one of them and can't really remember which kind it was, but it was pretty good. They've also been enjoying Dubliner cheese, I tried that and thought it was good, too. My favorite cheese is always Extra Sharp Cheddar. Or Extra Extra sharp if I can find it.

Do you have some small cookie cutters? That might be a fun way to present everything.

Are you able to find Carr's crackers? They are great cheese crackers. In fact, Costco offers a nice inexpensive variety pack. I really like the black pepper ones. : ) Come to think of it Costco has a pretty good cheese selection, too.

For a party I like to serve
Camembert, Gorgonzola, Havarti, Colby and aged Cheddar
I like to add some good olives, hard salami, prosciutto and marinated artichokes.

Smoked gouda is always really popular, I think. Brie or cambembert is good, as is dilled havarti. I usually serve a brie, smoked gouda, a strong blue, a cheddar, and a fun or new cheese.

Smoked gouda is a big favorite of mine. Now I'm craving it - too bad I'm out of town for work and can't get to the store.

Smoked Gouda, Edam, and Sharp Cheddar our my favorite cheeses for cheese trays. Another cheese I really enjoy is Gruyere. Perhaps the next time I make a cheese tray I will include some of the Gruyere.

I like chedder, pepper jack, mozzerella, swiss. I love all kinds of cheeses.

I like all sorts of cheeses, but there are some that just dont appeal to me personally. Goat cheese is horrible to me. I used to have goats growing up and remember how they smelled....goat cheese tastes just like a goat smells...ugh. It makes sense that it does, but yuk....I hate the way goats smell. :)

Cheddar, Muenster, Mozerella, Swiss, Gouda, Pepperjack, there are LOTS of great cheeses. I just dont like Brie or Goat cheese.

I have never had goat cheese and probably never will thanks to your description. Does not sound very appealing to me when there are so many other wonderful cheeses to enjoy.

You know, I never liked Brie all that much. I have eaten it now and then, and there are lots of ways to dress it up or down because it is so mild it is good with a variety of additions, but I just don't feel the love.

Probably my tastes just lean towards sharper cheeses. Cheddar, Gruyere, Gorgonzola, Swiss - these are all favorites of mine.

HAVARTI!! Oh, man, nothing better than a good havarti with dill on crackers.

I adore cheese fondue. I know that's not really "cheese" that you would put on a cheese tray at a party, but I think it's a great addition to any gathering.

It's also a very sexy addition to a romantic dinner.

Yes, cheese has always been sexy...

I've always liked American cheese, it's patriotic and it tastes good. Can't go wrong.

A cheese ball surrounded by an assortment of crackers is always a nice addition, too. I also agree with the fondue -- love the stuff and you can have both bread cubes and also veggies for dipping.

I think for the cheese platter there were some great suggestions. I'd feature some of the "stand bys" which are everyone's faves (yes, the picky people!) and then a few of the more exotic ones.

Manchego cheese is a harder cheese from Spain that has an interesting flavor. My DH loves good cheese and often picks out random varieties at the store to try :).

Back