What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

shortbread forms

M

mamadoc

I have 2 beautiful shortbread forms that I have never been able to use as I can't get the shortbread out after it is baked! One has an 8 inch pattern of King Wenceslas. The notes that came with them both said not to use anything on the forms. Tried that. It is to laugh. Husband was glad to use knife and have just one cookie. Think he put on 5lbs that weekend.

Tried it again, figuring the mold might need seasoning. Husband put on a further 5lb.
Tried flour,cornstarch, and ultimately a light coating of oil. Nothing worked. (Now let me see; 3 times 5 equals 15lbs. Sounds right.)
I've been using the standard butter/sugar/flour recipe for this.

HELP!! I've resorted to using the forms as decorations, for the sake of my husband's health!

Hi mamadoc,

...and welcome! We here always enjoy meeting new folks & making new friends. C'mon in, pulluppa chair and make yourself at home!

While I don't have an answer to your specific question (I've seen those neat forms but frankly- have never used them) I'll be watching to see if any of our other friends can help!

Have a great day- and again, WELCOME! smiles- kevin

Welcome Mamadoc,

Great to have you join us here st SP! The problems you need help with is beyond me, I had a form once it was from Pampered Chef and believe it or not I never used it! I would imagine you could get better results by seasoning it as you would an iron skillet. Might try this: soak the form in a conatiner filled with water for a few hours. Remove from water and dry thoroughly rub it down with shortening or veggie oil allowing oil to completely penetrate all especially the insides. Bake in a hot oven (400°) for several hours, you may want to bake some potatoes and a roast while you bake it to keep from wasting all that good heat on a simple cookie form. Anyway I would suggest at least giving it a try. You will be creating an almost non-stick type coating by doing the seasoning. It is a shame that they do not send instructions when they sell you these things!!!

Best of Luck to you! CCCathy

Ummm - can I have my 2 cents worth here please?
Now I know I've got you guys beat in age - so just bear with the old bag..........

Make your dough, press into your mold, invert on baking sheet, release mold and bake - don't bake the mold.

Well at least that is how I do it - and all those wonderful bakers from generations ago have done it.

Mama will retreat to her room now...............

(gosh I hope you haven't seasoned it yet............)

Thanks for all your comments. Mama Mangia, I'm afraid that was step one in my attempts, plus adding sl. more flour to try to keep it intact. One mold said to cook it in the mold,so I've been trying to invert it on the cookie sheet the first few times,then tried cooking it in the mold.
mamadoc

mamadoc - what about your ingredients? are you using real butter? something is causing the sticking - shortbread is buttery and shouldn't stick - are you preheating your oven long enough? is your oven temp also the same when using an oven thermometer? using ingredients at room temp? did you adjust your bake time? (sorrry - so many questions)

also - I don't know how thick your forms are - forms can be pretty but the thickness of them can also effect the recipe/baking

The forms are 1 to 1.25 inches thick. Always use fresh butter. Usually up to room temp., but could be slightly below. I cook until v. slightly beige on edges, and firm on top-cooked by "toothpick test. I am 58 and have baked since I was 10. Chocolate, ginger, capuccino, and almond shortbread are no problem. I have small round and square presses I use on my reg. stuff, but this floors me. Surely someone has used one of these forms, or the Scandinavian ones!

Back