What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unbaked Pie-Crust Dilemma

chubbyalaskagriz

Alrighty, gang- I have a problem...

I've baked pies both at home and at work all my life and thought I had pie pastry mastered, but I guess I was wrong!

Always before I tended to use and prefer thin metal pie plates that seemed to conduct the heat properly and cook the crust completely. But sister gave me 4 beautiful red pie plates for Christmas made from very thick pottery, and I'm having issues.

While these plates are pretty to look at- they seem to impede the baking process. I've baked single-crust pecan and Dutch apple pies- as well as two-crust mincemeat and peach pies and NONE of the bottom crusts were cooked correctly- in fact, I'd go so far as to say they remained raw.

I hate the idea that these gifts might prove to be useless! What am I doing wrong? Has anyone had success with these? Is there a technique that works well? Perhaps placing the red pie plates directly onto a baking stone? Hmmm... I'm displeased and BAFFLED! Please Help!

Kev -

I prefer the same tins you prefer - I also have those thick-bottomed "dishes" which I use for making pot pies, casseroles, etc.

If you really want to use those for pies - maybe you can use them for pre-baked shells (unfilled) or depending on the recipe - partially bake your shell.

I just use mine (pottery) for casseroles, sides, pot pies, etc.

Just cuz it's shaped like a pie plate, looks like a pie plate - don't mean it's a pie plate........
you know what I mean......

btw - don't hurt her feelings - when sis comes over and you are making pies - use the dish with a graham cracker or cookie crust........

Kev, did you ever resolve your problem? I bake pies in the glass pyrex dishes for pies. I don't have a problem. The pyrex is a good conductor for heat and I can see the bottom of the pies to check the crust.

I would take the pretty pie plate sis gave ya' and place it into a cast iron skillet (while still cool & or at room temp.) and place the whole thing together in the oven and bake as usual, I guarantee those bottom crusts will be done!!!:) The black cast iron conducts heat great and will get the job done. If not I would be shocked.

Back