What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Baked Sweet Potatoes

MsMai

Baked Sweet Potatoes

2 sweet potato, scrubbed
2 Tbs. orange marmalade
1/4 cup milk
4 tsp. unsalted butter, melted (I use Smart Balance)

Preheat oven to 400° F. Place potatoes on a cookie sheet. Bake 1 hour or until potato is tender. (To cook in microwave: Wrap potatoes in plastic wrap and place in microwave. Cook on high 5 minutes. Rearrange potatoes and cook another 2-3 minutes. Let potatoes stand 8-10 minutes.) Remove potatoes from oven and set aside until cool enough to handle. Horizontally cut off top 1/3 of potato. Scoop out potato, leaving a 0-1/4 inch shell. Combine potato flesh with remaining ingredients in a food processor or blender. Puree. Fill potato shells with puree. Return to cookie sheet and bake 20 minutes or until hot (or place in microwave and cook on high another 2 minutes. Let potatoes sit 2-3 minutes before serving if using microwave.)

So glad that both of you like the recipe. I am changing my eating habits too, Cathy, but would walk a long mile for a tater of any kind. Being from the south, there were not many evening meals that we did not have potatoes as a side dish of one kind or another. Chubbs that is a great shot of you and that sinful cake.

Well, I get to work with about 10# of sweet potatoes this weekend, which were given to me today from the local food bank, except I'm going to 'can' them for a future date. That seems to be easier for my figure right now. :)

CanMan, how do you prepare them for canning? Do you make a lite syrup?

I can tomatoes every year because we love them at our house. I purchase them at a huge farm, used to can and freeze a variety of veggies when we had a small veggie garden in the back yard. I enjoy canning so much although it is hard work.

Chubbs, I understand completely, cake and I have been best buddies for a long time too. LOL

CanMan, how do you prepare them for canning? Do you make a lite syrup?
Sweet Potatoes are first cooked long enough for the skins to peel off, but still firm. I slice them in to small chunks and pack loosely in jars. Then filled with a light or medium syrup. The jars are pressure canned for 65 minutes for pints, 90 minutes for quarts, at 10# pressure (sea level).

To make a light syrup mix 2-1/4 cups sugar with 5-1/4 cups water. A medium syrup is 3-1/4 cups of sugar to 5 cups water. Heated to dissolve sugar and bring to a boil.

You have to be careful with sweet potatoes because they get soft very easily and could become too heavily packed in the jar if you are not careful. If it is too dense the heat will not penetrate during processing and you could end up with an unsafe product.

Back