What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spatzel Recipe

The Ironic Chef

I made up a nice stew tonight and wanted to make up some Spatzels to go along with it. I have tried to make Spatzels numerous times without having very much success. Tonight wasn't any different.
My birthday was yesterday and as requested I was given an 8 quart Calphalon stock pot with a two piece strainer inserts. I figured the holes in the strainers would work pretty good for Spatzel judging the recipes I have been checking out on making them. All I did was make a mess.
When I was over seas in Germany I had the best Spatzel of my life. The noodle was like a short spaghetti noodle but lighter. I would love to make Spatzel like that.
Does one have to have a Spatzel press or is there a trick to making them? My batter was just a bit thinner than a pancake batter. When the batter hit the water I had more of an egg drop soup than I did a Spatzel. If anyone has some advice I would greatly appreciate it.

here's a recipe - quite basic -

3 lg Eggs
2 c Flour
2 tb Butter
1 c Milk
1/2 ts Salt

Beat eggs well; add remaining ingredients and beat
until the dough blisters. Drop from the tip of a wet
teaspoon into boiling salted water. Cook until tender
(about 15 minutes). Drain.

don't laugh - I use an old aluminum pie plate that my dad "punched holes" in using a large nail

quite dangerous to store - but makes the best noodles!

if you want to try it - make sure you drive the nail through the pie plate from the inside and not the outside

been doing it like that for 50 years - same pie plate

and if your dough/batter is too thin - add a tad more flour

Thank you Mama. I actually searched SP for a spatzel recipe and the only search result was a mention of it by you with a broccoli recipe.
I make pretty close to the same batter except for the pinch of nutmeg and pepper that I use. I do end up eventually adding more flour and cutting them in with a knife.
I like the pie plate idea. When you say nail holes. do you mean an average 10d size or did your dad go big and use a 20d spike? Lol. I'll use a 3/16" drill bit.

Back