What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Healthy Fajitas

S

SarePear

I love this recipe cause its pretty healthy and its filling!

Fajita Directions:

What you need:
1 Packet Amazing Taste Fajita Seasoning (1 oz)
1 lb. Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast OR Boneless Beef Sirloin, Cut into thin strips
2 Tbsp. Oil
1/3 Cup Water or Lemon/Lime Juice
1 Medium Onion, Cut into Thin Strips
1 Medium Green Bell Pepper, Cut into Thin Strips
1 Small Tomato, Cut into Thin Wedges
8 Flour or Corn Tortillas

Directions:
Heat oil in large skillet on Medium heat. Add meat or chicken and cook until browned, stirring frequently. Add water, seasoning, onion, bell pepper and cook 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add tomatoes and continue cooking for additional 2-3 minutes until meat or chicken is cooked thoroughly. Spoon in to warm tortilla; serve with suggested toppings if desired.

I found this on the back of an Amazing Taste packet when I was trying to figure out what to make for a quick dinner for my kids. They were pleased and so was I!

Thank you for sharing this recipe and welcome to Spice Place! I love Fajita's and yet the pkt. of spices I find here are usually not at all tasty and do not have that authentic taste, so I will take your suggestion and try this new stuff!

Do you love Mexican food? I do. And what other types of recipes do you like to prepare? Have you ever gotten into Middle Eastern Cusine? It is also a favorite of mine!:p

Hope you like it here on Spice Place and will continue to be an active member!

Cathy

Hi Cathy!

I know what you mean about packets not always living up to expectations but I was pleasently surprised by these. A friend of mine has a food blog and she got some free packets and cooked for me and I was quite impressed.

I am a huge fan of Middle Eastern Food! but I am a little scared to start cooking it, I'm still a bit new to cooking :) Do you have a particular recipe I should try...for a newbie?

Thanks so much!

Sara

Hi Again SarePare or SP (SP is also our initals for Spice Place)

Middle Eastern Cusine:
My definition is that there is no healthier food on the face of the earth! You feel so good and satisfied when you eat their food! It is exhilirating and refreshing tasting in my opinion!

Now do not get me wrong I LOVE MEXICAN FOOD and ITALIAN and AMERICAN and CHINESE and CUBAN and so on.... BUT Middle Eastern Food takes the CAKE for me!!:p

I guess my all-time favorite Middle Eastern dish is an appetizer called:
Baba Ghanouj (pronounced Baba-ganoo) which is a roated eggplant dip seasoned with tahini (sesame seed paste) olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice. I will pull up the recipe so you can see it on today's posts!

Next to that is Hummus Dip, it is soooo easy to make! I open a can of chickpeas throw them in the blender (juice and all) add lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and tahini and blend well until creamy dip consistency. Both these dips you eat with warm pita bread, talk about heavenly:) Fresh warm pita fresh from the oven is soooo good! Well any warm yeast bread hot from the oven is just too good to stop at 1 bite:D

If you can not find tahini sesame oil will do! As a matter of fact it works just as well as tahini!

Then there is my all-time favorite entree : Stuffed Grape Leaves!!!
Then: Tabouli Salad, and Falafel, Mousaka, Lamb Kabob's, Gyros (which you have probably heard of) the list is endless:) I can assure you you will not be disappointed for experimenting especially if you like healthy, refreshing, totally tasty eats!

There is a Lebanese Stuffed Grape Leaves recipe I posted here you may like to see. I will pull it up so you can have a look! It is a big hit with kids and adults alike!

Let me know if you are brave enough to try something new in you own kitchen!

Cathy

Last edited:
Dang, Cathy... now you've got me craving Mexican and Middle-Eastern! Gotta have my "foreign foods" FIX soon!

I feel a cruise thru the nearby "Niro's Gyro's" drive-thru coming on soon!

Maybe mama will post a "slap yer knee & holler at the dawg" Italian recipe now, too! Gotta get my global grub craving taken care of soon!

Read a great article in this month's "Saveur" magazine tonight, about a group of Iraqui refugees living in Lebanon- on a waiting list to come to the U.S. These guys all aided American soldiers during this war and now their lives are in danger from the rengade forces there who have little appreciation for them... They dearly miss home- and are doing their best to recreate the one-pot meals made by their wives and mothers, left behind in Iraq. These poor guys- off to circle the globe to try and make a better life.... If they luck out and are awarded placement in Houston, TX. they will send for their families- and contribute yet MORE to Texas' diverse food culture! Ya gotta love world cuisine! And God bless these guys who did so much for our military guys and gals!

Last edited:
I love middle eastern food too. I'm completely addicted to humus. I also love Souvlaki, roast lamb, tzatziki, kopanisti, falafel, mujadara, fattoush, saffron chicken, any kind of tagine served with quinoa, moussaka oh I could go on for ever. mmmm-mmm!

RE: "Souvlaki, roast lamb, tzatziki, kopanisti, falafel, mujadara, fattoush, saffron chicken, any kind of tagine served with quinoa, moussaka oh I could go on for ever."

STOP IT, jfain! Enuf, already!

This soggy bowl of Quaker Oat Squares is having a hard time comparing to the feast you're throwing our way- Ha!

Hey Chubbs there aint nothin wrong with having some warm pita bread with some great tasting baba-ganough for breakfast! I do it all the time, my clients must love me though what with all the garlic breath:eek: and they still keep coming back!

Back