What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Homemade Manicotti With Pepperoni

The Ironic Chef

Manicotti-002.jpg

Description:
Manicotti to me is very much like a lasagna except the cheese is trapped inside of a large tube shaped pasta. I don't have much luck getting my filling into store bought pasta so I make my own.

Ingredients:
For the Pasta
1 1/2 cups of flour
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons of water
a dash of salt

For the Filling
12 oz container of Ricotta Cheese
1/2 pound of shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 box of frozen spinach, thawed and chopped to equal 1/2 cup.
1 egg
Salt and pepper to taste

Toppings, pizza spices, 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella cheese, 4 cups of sauce, pepperoni.

Directions:
To make the dough, mix the flour, egg, salt and water together to make a crumbly dough mixture. Knead to bring it together for about 6 minutes. Coat lightly with olive oil and allow it to rest covered.
To make the filling, Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl. Blend well to make a paste.
After the pasta dough has rested roll out sheets by hand or with a pasta roller to a thickness you can just about see your hand through. With a roller, about the 5th or 6th setting for thickness Cut into 4" x6" rectangles. you should get 12 of them. Cook in boiling water for 4 minutes, drain and put into a bowl of cold water. Preheat the oven to 375*
In a casserole dish, put a tablespoon of olive oil and a ladle of sauce. Spread the oil and sauce over the entire bottom of the dish.
Take a dish towel and spread it on the counter. Place a piece of the pasta and lay it on top of the towel so that the long side is facing you. Place a heaping tablespoon of filling along the edge facing you and then roll the pasta around the filling jelly roll style using the towel to help. Place the filled manicotti in the casserole dish and repeat until all the pasta is filled.
Pour four cups of sauce over the filled manicotti, Sprinkle on some Italian spices as you would a pizza, add 1-1/2cups of mozzarella cheese. I add pepperoni at this point. Cover with aluminum foil and put in the oven. I bake for 45 minutes removing the foil the last 20 minutes of baking.

Set 3 extra places at the table, we are on our way, and Eddie drives fast:D That Looks scrumptious!!!! Now you have got me craving some good manicotti! I cannot believe you go to all the trouble to make your own pasta!!! I am duly impressed that's for SURE! And thanks for sharing the recipe!

Mm, your Homemade Manicotti looks Good! I don't make my own home-made shells. Here is my recipe for manicotti.

Stuffed Manicotti 350-30. min.

1 lb ground beef 1/2 cup chopped onion 1 lg. clove garlic, minced
2-6-ounce cans of tomato past 6T snipped parsley, 1T basil

1 1/2 pounds fresh ricotta 2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 eggs slightly beaten 8 manicotti shells 1/2 c parmesan cheese

Brown beef lightly. Drain off fat. Add onion, garlic tomato paste, 2 cups of water, 2 T snipped parsley, crushed basil, 1/2 t salt, and add a dash of pepper.
Simmer, uncovered about 30 min., stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, combine ricotta cheese 2/3 cup parmesan cheese, eggs, remaining snipped parsley 1 1/2 t salt, and a dash of pepper.
Cook manicotti. Use a small spoon to stuff.
Pour half the tomato sauce into dish. Arrange manicotti in a row over sauce. Top with remaining sauce, sprinkle with cheese. Enjoy, Cookie :)

Last edited:
Thank you for the invitation IC, that would be wonderful! I doubt we will get that far North, but hey maybe one day! And if you & yours ever happen to come down this way, the invitation stands for you too! We are only an hour North of Atlanta!

I am sure going to try this recipe. Quite exotic in many respects. Thanks The Ironic Chef cos sometimes I think I need some variety.

I love manicotti!

Here's another recipe:

Flour, salt to taste (sorry - I don't measure), 3 beaten eggs, and milk to a consistency that will allow you to have a batter for your skillet. Pour into skillet and spread (about a 5-inch circle), do not brown, turn. Stack between sheets of waked paper till done; fill - and you know the routine from there.

I've also used water - and I've also make it "doughier" and rolled and cut into squares or rectangles (as I age some things get bigger and bigger - like my gnocci, tortellini, etc.) and filled, etc.

It doesn't matter to me if I stuff round, squares or rectangles - I'll stuff anything! LOL

Mama, I have several old recipes for Cataloni using the crepe method. I have always wondered what the difference between a Cantaloni and Manicotti was. I was thinking one was for meats and the other for cheese?
I saw Lidia do a mushroom crepe not to long ago that looked out of this world.

"It doesn't matter to me if I stuff round, squares or rectangles - I'll stuff anything!"

It would really be nice to have a stuffed home grown tomato right about now.

No set rule for stuffing either with what you want.
when I have the time I will make the crepe style -
if making several different pastas for the same meal - I roll

Speaking of stuffing things Mama. I stuff egg roll wrappers with pepperoni and mozzarella cheese, roll them up and deep fry them. I don't think anything can be as unhealthy as that but they are so good dipped in a marinara sauce. They make nice little appetizers.

IC - I am so used to my homemade ricotta it's not funny. I love cottage cheese - but 99% of the time I am enjoying cottage cheese it is "salad" style. I love ricotta just plopped on my dish (cold) with my pasta. I love anything with ricotta - ricotta pie, ricotta cookies, ricotta pie, manicotti, ricotta pie, mezzalunas, ricotta pie, ravioli, ricotta pie, lasagna, ricotta pie - oh - did I mention - I love ricotta pie? LOL

Mama, I like both. I grew up with the cottage cheese fillings but now use ricotta most of the time. I have only had a ricotta style cheese cake. The texture was a bit to grainy for my liking. I would love to see some of your recipes. I think ricotta pie that is savory would be really good. I am on a mushroom kick and I am thinking the two would go together very well.

I'm not one that measures for many things. I have to admit - my FAVORITE ricotta pie is a double-crusty, sweet ricotta pie, sometimes with dried fruit in it (sugar, eggs, vanilla).
I also enjoy ricotta with mushrooms, onions and spinach - including eggs, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, parsley, possibly with pancetta or ham. With or without crust - don't matter to me.
You can season the ricotta with any herbs or spices, add other cheeses, add soppressata, salami, pepperoni, eggs, etc.

I too love ricotta in pastas... though I have never made homemade ricotta.

I love cottage cheese as well. As a salad- with tuna, or garden veggies, or in jello...

I like cottage cheese plain or used as a filling in cooked items. I never was one to mix fruit into it. I just like it plain with lots of pepper or maybe with a couple slices of a fresh picked tomato.

Back