What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Name your Dish!

cookie

How many of you take a recipe and make it your own. I like to add or sometimes subtract ingredients to what my personal tastes are. I just made something today that I even changed it's recipe name, it turned out Good. :D

Chili with Shells (Stove Top)

1/2 box of small shells * 1 lb. ground sirloin * 1 can chili beans

1 can of originaal Rotel diced tomatoes with chilli's (mix in with cooked meat)

1 small onion * 1t chili powder * 1/2t salt * 1/4t cumin

1 cup of sharp cheddar shredded cheese ( put on top after it's all done)

Cook meat until it crumbles (no longer pink) stir in 4 ingredients.
Stir prepared pasta and beef together and serve. Cookie :)

Last edited:
You go GIRL! That sounds darned good, I am going to try it this week for one of our meals, I have all the ing. on hand, and you know it sounds sort of like a Hamburger Helper Meal only better because it is homemade! Thanks for sharing:)

Beef Stroganoff

Did someone mention a Hamburger Helper type meal. I make this at least once a week. My kids love it and it is way better than what comes from the box.

1 Lb of ground beef
1 packet of Lipton's Beefy Onion Soup mix
4 1/2 cups of water
1 lb of uncooked bow tie pasta
1/2 cup of sour cream
salt and pepper to taste

Brown the ground beef in a deep skillet that has a lid. Drain fat. Add the water and soup mix and bring to a boil. Add the bow tie pasta, bring back to a boil. Lower heat to medium high, cover and cook the pasta for 10 minutes. Remove the cover, close the heat and mix in the sour cream. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Different variations. Use Better Than Bullion beef base and a packet of mushroom soup mix.
Make meatballs with the ground beef, make as above and name it Swedish Meatball Stroganoff.
Make a cheese sauce and you have a cheeseburger pasta.
Switch pasta and add vegetables to keep it interesting. Green peas go very well in pasta dishes.
Inspiration moment. I haven't made my Tuna Casserole with potato chip topping in ages. I think That will be on the menu in the next couple of days.

Thanks, its all gone we ate it! Your right it's is a lot like hamburger-helper in the magazine they called it Chili Cheeseburger, they used the bigger shells with cheese already in it.

I did add a little bit of garlic powder to the dish, but you really didn't need it.

This was so easy to make and it's a no bake, fast on the table! Cookie :)

I Love beef stroganoff, that sounds really Good. I have to try that one Thanks, Ironic Chef. Cookie :)

Jon loves Beef Stroganoff. I will def try the recipe.
Cookie your dish sounds so good. I love chili but it does not love me back lol.
I have wondered in the past when a recipe becomes your own. I get alot of my ideas from other recipes and then tweak them to our tastes. One I changed up alot to suit us is the white wine chicken soup recipe I found online. I took the original recipe and came up with one we really love.

Last edited:
I tweak a lot of recipes....sometimes they come out good and sometimes not !
My family likes Hamburger helper and I add things such as extra cheese, sour cream...onion, garlic tomatoes.
Same thing woth frozen pizza....I add extra cheese,onion,black olives.canadian bacon....pepperroni...things to spice it up so it doesn't taste so bland.

Last night I had a party and I asked them this question. What did they think was my signature dish. These are people who have eaten many, many meals at my house. Everyone said that my signature is that there will always be something different and they know it will always be good. I really cook with a lot of confidence often making 3 or 4 dishes for a party that I have never made before. Yesterday I made Pate du champagne for the first time and it was so good. There is only a little sliver left. I also made homemade ricotta for the first time and gluten free focaccia bread. The other dishes I made I have done before gluten free pizza, sage white bean dip, buckwheat brownies and polenta cornmeal cake with lemon curd. This was obviously a party with an Italian theme.

I had always wanted to make my own Beef Stroganoff. I hope I am going to try one of these days. I want to substitute much of the ingredients. I want to make my sauce differently.

When it comes to adding or subtracting from a recipe, my rule is always add more garlic! I swear I would put it on my cereal in the morning if I wouldnt get weird looks from my roommates!

I would really like to see your Homemade Ricotta recipe if you get the chance to post it.

It's so easy you won't believe it. Put one gallon of whole milk in a non reactive pot with one pint of buttermilk. Cook on medium low heat until the temperature gets to about 180 and then the curds will separate from the wey.

Put a colander over a large bowl and then line the colander with several layers of cheese cloth. Spoon the curds into the cheesecloth. Tie up the corners but don't press on it, then just hang the cheese for 15 minutes on a wooden spoon over the bowl to drain. Presto you are done cheese!

That recipe sounds very much like the one and Indian friend gave me for Paneer. It's a type of Indian Cottage cheese.

5 cups of whole milk
2 teaspoons of vinegar, or the juice from half a lemon
I also add a pinch of salt.

Adding an acid to milk makes buttermilk. I was leary about trying the above recipe because I thought I'd end up making a yogurt. I did try it tonight and am pleased with the results so far.

In a sauce pan, bring the milk to a boil. Add the vinegar or juice. After the curds are formed, remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes. Pour into a sieve lined with cheese cloth, pull the cheese cloth tight and knot. Allow to drain. After all the liquid has drained, shape into a rectangle and wrap in tin foil and refrigerate over night.
This cheese is used like a cream cheese. It sets up like a bean curd or a tofu. It can be cut and skewered for grilling or coating in a breading or battered and fried. It can also be used for making cheese cake. MMMMMMM, cheese cake.

Next experiment, the ricotta. I hope I don't end up on Cathy's flub page, lol. Thank you for the recipe. It looks very easy.

You are right IC it's very much like that. I use lemon juice to make Paneer but otherwise my recipe for that is the same as yours. In ricotta the buttermilk is the curdling agent but also adds creaminess to the cheese. Paneer sets up into an almost unmeltable kind of cheese that's why it's so good for cutting into cubes and frying but the ricotta will melt when it's heated.

It's nice to learn the sciences behind all the madness, lol. I was wondering what supplied the creaminess and the buttermilk is the explanation. Your an excellent teacher. Better than reading this from a book.

Back