What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I properly bake homemade fries?

A

agroom

I have a food slicer that I cut the potatoes into 3/8" cuts, which I think is a bit small but still good. I leave the skins on. After cutting up 4-5 potatoes, I'll pour about a tbs of olive oil on and rub it into all the fries, then add some spices like oregano, chili powder, onion powder, season salt, etc...

I typically bake on the center rack at 350 (maybe I need to step it up) on a cookies sheet I've coated with vegetable spray for about 35 min or until they're done. I've tried on tinfoil but they burn to the foil and are impossible to remove.

The problem I'm having is after about 35-40 min, some start to burn on the edges but the middle is still kinda limp and medium cooked. I know they won't be nice and crispy like deep fried, but I know they are way too flaccid.

I've typically made wedges which turn out perfect, so I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong with my fries. Any suggestions?

sometimes it's the thickness of the cut
I lay mine in a single layer and I drizzle with oil; toss to coat and bake - they come out fine - but I make mine like steak fries

Hi Agr,

Welcome to our forum, hope you will one day have excellent fries!!! I have a cast iron griddle and I would recommend you use one, but first before placing the fries on it preheat it in the oven at 425°, have your fries already oiled and seasoned drop them quickly onto the griddle (make sure it is well seasoned and greased) in a single layer and bake until browned. That will cook more evenly than on a cold cookie sheet placed into the oven . See if that is more to your liking. You could also use a non-stick griddle as well, just preheat and do as above.

AG, I have always had a hard time doing fries in the oven too. I saw an episode on Americas Test Kitchen I think, and they actually pre cooked the potato slices in the microwave first. Microwave the potato slices for about 10(+/-) minutes until they just start to become tender. You should just be able to bend one of the fries without it breaking but not cook it through. Then after tossing the fries in oil, arrange in a single layer on a sheet pan and bake. I'm a big fan of parchment paper myself so I actually use it under my fries when baking them. I bake my fries at 425* until golden brown, flip the fries after first 10 minutes of baking. After I remove the fries from the oven and add my seasonings.

There was a really good recipe for Baked Lemon Fries that was posted on SP not to long ago and I would highly recommend it.

You know I find by the time I drizzle enough oil on the potatoes to get them to crisp up in the oven I could have just fried them. I even do my frying in olive oil Mario is right about that one it makes great oil for frying. I've never had any trouble with it burning. If you have your oil at the right temperature they won't absorb any more oil than they would if you drizzle them with oil and bake them. At least that is my experience.

All great ideas! I don't deep fry not specifically out of health reasons, but mostly because I don't have a deep fryer and it always has been a pain to save the oil from pan deep frying.

Anyway, the cast iron does sound like the best idea along with preheating the pan. Don't have one yet, but that'll be a good goal. Microwaving also makes a lot of sense, then I can cook a little hotter or maybe even broil them???

If you have a baking sheet that you can broil on, broiling pre cooked potatoes works fine. Just make sure you don't have a non stick baking sheet. The non sticks aren't made for the high temps of the broiler and the fumes they let off are toxic. The cast iron skillet is the way to go if you want to broil single servings at a time. I just pre cook the fries in the microwave in a plastic mixing bowl, then add a few tablespoons of oil and spices to coat the fries and then set them in a single layer on my broiler pan. After the tops become golden brown I flip them and do the other side.

Mm. sounds Good I'm going to try that I never made home-made fries before i usually just buy frozen with seasoning on them already. Thanks, Cookie :)

I didn't know about the non-stick pans, I think that's all I have! Good thing I haven't had the time to make any recently. Garage sales start up in a few weeks, perfect chance to find some new cookery!

Back