What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boston Market Meatloaf

jglass

Boston Market Meatloaf

1 cup tomato sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons kraft barbecue sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 lbs lean ground sirloin
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 dash garlic powder

Preheat oven to 400°F.
Combine the tomato sauce, barbecue sauce and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat.
Heat the mixture until it begins to bubble, stirring often, and then remove it from the heat.
In a large bowl, add all but 2 tablespoons of the tomato sauce to the meat.
Use a large wooden spoon or your hands to work the sauce into the meat until it is very well combined.
Combine the remaining ingredients with the ground sirloin-- flour, salt, onion powder and ground pepper.
Use the wooden spoon or your hands to work the spices and flour into the meat.

Load the meat into a loaf pan (preferably a meatloaf pan with two sections which allows the fat to drain, but if you don't have one of those a regular
loaf pan will work).
Wrap foil over the pan and place it into the oven for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, take the meatloaf from the oven, remove the foil and, if you aren't using a meatloaf pan, drain the fat.
Using a knife, slice the meatloaf all the way through into 8 slices while it is still in the pan.
This will help to cook the center of the meatloaf.
Pour the remaining 2 tablespoons of sauce over the top of the meatloaf, in a stream down the center.
Don't spread the sauce.
Place the meatloaf back into the oven, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until it is done.
Remove and allow it to cool for a few minutes before serving.

Meatloaf recipes can be so different. I have seen fillers like bread crumbs, oatmeal,bran, hard boiled eggs and grains and rices. This is the first time I have ever seen flour used. I guess it's a binder too because I don't even see any egg used.

I plan to make it for my FIL tomorrow. I need to get a can of tomato sauce first.
I'll let you know how it comes out.

gotta love the internet!
it's amazing how many "really original" copies of these recipes are out there!

here's the one I got:

Boston Market Meatloaf

Meat Mixture
1 1/2 lbs lean ground chuck
1/2 cup minced onion
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
3/4 cup drained diced tomato
3/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
1 egg

Topping
3/4 cup tomato sauce
2 tablespoons sugar

Mix all ingredients together in first list until well blended.
Place in a lightly greased Bread Pan and bake at 350 for 3/4hr.
Remove from oven and drain excess grease from pan.
Mix tomato sauce and sugar together and pour over the meatloaf and place back in the oven to finish baking until done about 1/2 hr depending on the oven.

and I bet there are at least a dozen more floating around..........

One time for fun, when we were living in our Apt. complex everyone was sitting around the pool and somehow we got started bragging on what a great meatloaf they make. So we all decided to have a meatloaf bake-off! That was fun and there was so much good-natured teasing up until the big day, one guy bought my Eddie a pkg. of French's meatloaf seasoning and told him "good-luck" of-course when the big event came there was so much meatloaf floating around our complex that we all ate meatloaf sandwiches at work for days afterwards:D and there never was a clear-cut winner, they were all outstanding!

I love meatloaf and enjoy all the varieties. One of my favorites is my wife's Italian style meatloaf that is baked in sauce and is topped with mozzarella cheese. Sandwiches are like meatball subs.

Taco, meat-loaf

I make a Mexican meat-loaf I take 1lb (or more) of ground chuck, add a 1/2 pkg. (or whole pkg. if you want) of taco seasoning mix, , 1/2 cup of salsa, 1 small can of vegetarian chili with beans in sauce, 1 small onion chopped, 1 small red sweet pepper chopped. (You can add a 1/4 cup of plain bread crumbs)

*Mix all above together

*Cook at 350 for 3o-40 min Take out of oven.

*Top off with shredded taco blend cheese. Turn off oven and let cheese melt.
You can also put your chili beans on top.

This is like eating a taco without the shell. :D Cookie :)

Last edited:
I have to try that too Cookie. I'll have to pass on the beans though. What actually binds everything together? You have a lot of moisture going into this with the onions, chili, pepper, and salsa.

Taco meat-loaf

Your right, if my meat-loaf has to much moister, sometimes I might add some bread crumbs, or not add the liquid from the beans.

You can also put the beans on top with your cheese, beans first then cheese, (you don't even need to use beans at all.)

I do kind of wing this recipe. It's like pot-luck dish. I think the taco mix helps bind it together, and deffinetely adding 1/4 cup of bread crumbs (plain) with more meat than a 1lb. You can put the whole taco mix pkg. in the loaf depending on your taste.

I put this in a loaf pan I usually cook it for over 30. min on 350-400. When it comes out and if there is some moisture around the meat I will just tip and drain into a cup.

I really do wing this one, usually off the top of my head but to my amaisment it really turns out Good! Cookie :)

I really do wing this one, usually off the top of my head but to my amaisment it really turns out Good! Cookie :)

I agree with you Cookie. Especially with meatloaf. It's really hard to do a recipe for meatloaf because as I say, "I throw some of this in and dump some of that". Doesn't sound to appealing.

My basic meatloaf is using a pound or so of ground beef. I mix in a pack of Lipton's Beefy onion soup mix, add some garlic, extra pepper, add an egg and enough plain bread crumbs to bring it to the consistency that I like. I shape my mixture into a loaf shape and set it on a wire mesh rack over a sheet pan to bake. I start off at about 425* to get a nice crust started on the outside to seal it and then lower the temp to 350* and bake until it's done. I use another pack of the soup mix and some better than bullion stock to make a nice gravy. I usually sneak a bit of horseradish into the gravy to give it a bit of a kick. I actually baste the meatloaf with some of the gravy mixture. If I'm not making a meatloaf, I'll use the meat mixture for Salisbury Steaks or for Swedish meatballs.

Meat-loaf

I agree with you Cookie. Especially with meatloaf. It's really hard to do a recipe for meatloaf because as I say, "I throw some of this in and dump some of that". Doesn't sound to appealing.

:) lol,Thanks for the Lipton's (Beef-Onion soup mix) meat-loaf idea, I'm going to try this one sound Good. Thanks, Cookie :)

IC I love your idea of baking the meatloaf on a wire rack, that would be better for you than in a pan swimming in it's own grease. Although I also do like Cookie and drain my dripping off as soon a I pull it out of the oven.

I am not sure I can remember the exact recipe but I recall a recipe that uses undiluted Cream of Mushroom soup on top of the meatloaf, and it came out tasting great!

Cathy, with my son away, I am the only one here that loves mushrooms. I would love to make a meatloaf using mushroom gravy and then to smoother it with mushrooms. I would even use mushrooms in the meatloaf. I'm drooling thinking of some dried portabelloes.

IC I love portabello mushrooms the very best! My Eddie makes a killer meatloaf that he puts chopped mushrooms in and it is very good! I love the moistness that the mushrooms impart into the meatloaf.

I made this for Jon's Dad. I didnt have to cook it as long as listed.
He said it was really good. He ate the whole thing in one day.

Back