What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would you say is your least

attractive vegetable to serve?

I would have to say mine is diced saute'd eggplant! It looks awful yet tastes unbelieveably great!!! To make it look more attractive I plate it with a sprig of parsley on top, and a few slices of dark red tomatoes beside it:p The eye is attracted to the pretty green of the parsley and red of the tomatoes and the eggplant kind of fades into the background less noticed.

frozen brussel sprouts.
I love fresh brussel sprouts, but the frozen ones lose all of their natural sweetness and color. Such a shame - I know alot of people that say "ick!" when these little sweeties are mentioned - but I think they may have only sampled the frozen/cooked/anemic variety.

I grew up on a farm and one of the things we grew was potatoes. Back then we didn't have fancy machinery to harvest our potato crop with. We had a machine with an end that dug into the ground that ran the dirt, clumps and whatever else was in the ground over a conveyor and then dropped everything behind it. My job was to then dig through the loosened soil and by hand, dig the potatoes out of it and put them into bushel baskets.
There was nothing like digging through the soil clumps and grabbing a rotting, oooozing slime foul smelling potato. It scarred me for life and I should have had therapy because of it. To this day, I can and love to eat any type of potato except for a baked potato. I never got over the images, smell or the feel of the slime oozing through my fingers.

i grew up on a farm and one of the things we grew was potatoes. Back then we didn't have fancy machinery to harvest our potato crop with. We had a machine with an end that dug into the ground that ran the dirt, clumps and whatever else was in the ground over a conveyor and then dropped everything behind it. My job was to then dig through the loosened soil and by hand, dig the potatoes out of it and put them into bushel baskets.
There was nothing like digging through the soil clumps and grabbing a rotting, oooozing slime foul smelling potato. It scarred me for life and i should have had therapy because of it. To this day, i can and love to eat any type of potato except for a baked potato. I never got over the images, smell or the feel of the slime oozing through my fingers.

rotten taters are soooooo gross!!!!

Potato Question: When mashing- how many of you PEEL them versus leaving the skins on?

I like them both ways- though some do not...

Potato Question: When mashing- how many of you PEEL them versus leaving the skins on?

I like them both ways- though some do not...

I love potato peels and almost never remove them. Only once a year on Christmas because my sister's family won't eat them if the peels are on. I even eat the peel on a baked potato, yum!

Rotten potatoes are one of the worst smells in the world. I see how you could be turned off IC.

As far as unattractive vegetables I always think it's unattractive to have white vegetables like regular cauliflower on a plate with just meat. I don't like for my plates to be beige but it's easy to get around this by using purple or yellow cauliflower. I like my plate to look like a rainbow. Must be the artist in me.

RE: "white vegetables"

A while back in a Martha Stewart Living there was some food styling of all-white foods grouped together on all-white vintage china, on all-white table linen. It was done beautifully- even though it certainly was rather anemic!

Lol, I always peel my potatoes. It looks weird to me if there was even a dark blemish on a potato and there ends up being a dark spot when I am mashing them. I even use white pepper.

Back