What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cuban-Style Beef and Peppers

Mama Mangia

Super Moderator
Cuban-Style Beef and Peppers

1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup white rum or apple juice
1 pound flank steak
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups thinly sliced onion
1 cup yellow bell pepper strips
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons capers
1 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon ground cumin
6 pimento-stuffed olives, chopped
3 plum tomatoes, each cut into 8 wedges
4 cups hot cooked long-grain rice

Combine raisins and rum in a small bowl; let stand 30 minutes.

Trim fat from steak, and cut steak into thin strips.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno, and saute 10 minutes or until tender. Add steak and garlic, and saute 4 minutes or until beef is browned. Add raisin mixture, capers, thyme, cumin, olives, and tomatoes. Reduce heat; simmer 7 minutes or until steak is done, stirring occasionally. Serve over rice.

Hey-Mama, this sounds really different. I Love olives with pimentos and I always have rum around. lol I think I might try this one Thanks! Cookie :)

I hope you enjoy it! I am the apple juice person - and I use half the cumin in the recipe. Just personal choice.

I'm not a big fan of Cumin Mama. I think that the season mixes that come in those kits for Tacos and such really over do it with the Cumin. The same with a lot of chili mixes.

If I buy a taco-pkg. and chili pkg. I only use half pkg. and use salsa mixed in with it with some water. I agree some of those pkg. over do it. If I use cumin I only use a teaspoon.

Mama. thanks again, I printed this recipe out. Cookie :)

Back