What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone have any cake decorating tips?

K

Kempette

Hello...

I'm trying to make my fiance a montreal canadiens cake and I'm not sure how to go about it does anyone have any suggestions?

I just need to figure out how I can make a nice cake to incorporate an ice hockey team on it. It's going to be a big birthday for him and he wants me to make him his cake, the baking I can do but I can't think of an easy way to decorate the cake and make it look really good

Is there a bakery supply house near you?
they sell all sorts of "things" that you can put on a cake - and sometimes you can buy them from a supermarket that also decorates cakes with various things
a friend of mine purchased a football setting to perch on top of the cake - she frosted it (13 X 9) green for the turf and drew the white lines - set the little football players and goalposts on it and it looked adorable
it's an easy way to cheat

Making or buying a white sheet cake with white frosting shouldn't be hard to do. Making an ice rink, goal post and such should be rather easy with a piping bag. Something really easy would to bake a round cakes and just pipe a Montreal Maple leaf on the top. Frosting is easy enough to dye to the color of choice using food coloring or you can get a cake decorating kit that comes with the tubes of different colors and the fittings for decorating that screw right onto the tubes. Sports figurines should be easy enough to come across at a Toys R Us or a sports shop.
Good luck with your cake.
IC

Welcome Kempette! We;re a fine bunch of folks that always enjoys meeting new folks and making new friends. We're glad you're here, and we hope to see you often!

Little toys always make a cake extra special. I found a complete circus - the train, animals in cages, bareback riders, MC - you name it - and I can't wait to make it. couldn't be easier!
They have all those little princess dolls, planes, cars, dinosaurs - you name it - that can easily be put on cakes - I just cut waxed paper the size of the bottoms (who knows what lead paint there is on these things) so that they never touch the cake/icing.

Thanks Mama
I completely agree with you about the lead issue, and I love the idea of the wax paper being placed underneath the toys. I was wondering about a cake my mother use to make for me when I was little she uses to place a doll in the top of the cake and have the cake come down like a very large dress, do you think I could rap wax paper around one of those dolls and still have the cake look great?

Mama, are you buying your circus made in China? It's against the law here in the states to use lead based paints on anything a child can touch.
I would think that if the doll is plastic you don't need to use plastic Kempette. I am not a doll person but I can say that none of my daughters Barbies were ever painted, nor my sons GI Joes or army men.

when I make a cake like that I wrap the doll in plastic wrap before inserting in the hole of the cake

the dolls are plastic - but at least they are not painted with lead paint!

another thing you can do - depending on the cake decoration - use fondant under the toys - and colored fondant shapes can add to the look of the cake

IC - that train is probably from China - so much is these days and even if it something says it is from another country how do I know china didn'ta make it for them to export? - and I've already thought of using a layer of waxed paper over the frosting and covering that with a layer of colored fondant - lift the waxed paper and toss that and the fondant out when ready to serve

But Mama, eating the decorations is the best part. I have never known my kids not to fight over which got which flower or the last chocolate strawberry.

IC funny you mention China, my 9 yr old refuses to have anything made from China, and when it comes to candy or snacks she always checks to see where it is made!

She believes in an all out Boycot against Wal-Mart totally because they buy so much from China, and use child labor (sweat shops) and she is becoming quite the activist!!! I LOVE IT!!!!:D

I was drinking a bottle of Tropicana apple juice not to long ago and was surprised to see that all the apples in it came from other countries. I would think we had plenty of apples in this country to make apple juice. At least we have laws here regarding the processing of apples for juice and pasteurization. Who knows what kind of animal waste can be getting onto fruit in countries where workers are only paid pennies a day. Just like the scare last year with peppers and tomatoes from Mexico.

IC - it's true with so many items - we export to other countries and then they charge us more to import the very same things - so they may be apples from our own country after all.

Back