What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking For a Signature Rice Preparation?

chubbyalaskagriz

Looking for a different rice preparation that is EXPLOSIVE in flavor, that could easily become a memorable, coveted signature rice for you?

Purusing kitichen journals from a decade back, I notated one prep-cook's rice recipe that I recall really finding delicious and inventive back then, and I'm CRAVING it now! No need to write this one down- it's that simple!

When simmering plain converted white rice (or brown) in water or stock- add a handfull of super-fine diced carrots and a tablespoon of ground/pulverized fennel-seed.

You won't BELIEVE the incredible/intense flavor!

Wow that does sound good! I've done the same with bay leaf but I will have to try the fennel seed.

One of the reason I love rice is that you add water or stock and herbs of choice and just walk away. I do like to saute my rice first in a bit of olive oil or peanut oil before I add a hot liquid to it.

Spanish Rice

I Love Spanish rice, my Mom used to make it for us when we were little as a side dish. I don't have the recipe I know it had tomatoes in it with seasoning in it. Does anyone have a Good recipe for Spanish rice? Cookie :)

Oh yes I have a wonderful recipe. One of my favorites. Perfect every time.

• Mexican Red Rice

• 1 14 1/2-ounce can peeled whole tomatoes in juice, drained
• 3 tablespoons chopped white onion
• 2 small garlic cloves, peeled

• 1/4 cup corn oil
• 1 cup medium-grain white rice
• 1 cup hot water
• 1 medium carrot, peeled, cut into 1/3-inch pieces
• 1/3 cup shelled fresh peas or frozen
• 1/3 cup fresh corn kernels or frozen
• 6 fresh cilantro sprigs, tied together with kitchen twine
• 2 to 3 serrano chiles , halved lengthwise
• 1 teaspoon salt
Puree tomatoes, onion, and garlic in blender until smooth.
Heat oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add rice; stir until rice is pale golden, about 1 minute. Stir in tomato puree, then 1 cup hot water, carrot, peas, corn, cilantro sprigs, chiles, and salt. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until almost all liquid is absorbed, about 12 minutes. Uncover and cook until rice is tender and all liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes longer. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 5 minutes. Discard cilantro and chiles. Fluff rice with fork.

Thanks, for the recipe jfain this sounds really Good. It sounds interesting with peas, & corn in it. I know the recipe I remember had chopped tomatoes in it I think fresh parsley, onion, green peppers. I Love rice so-good! Cookie :)

Easy Spanish Rice

1 1/2 cups uncooked regular rice (make rice according to package directions)
then add the rest of the ingredient's:

1 medium onion, chopped ( 1/2cup)
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 1/2 cups water
1 can 8 ounces tomato sauce
1 small green bell pepper, chopped 1/2 cup
1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
3/4 teaspoons chili powder
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder Cookie :)

*I made this Spanish rice recipe today it really turned out very Good!

Last edited:
Charleston Red Beans and Rice

1 pound spicy smoked sausage

1 large onion, diced

2 celery ribs, diced

3 garlic cloves, minced

2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning, divided

2 cups uncooked long-grain rice

2 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth

2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained

1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes

2 bay leaves

1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley

Hot sauce (optional)

Cut smoked sausage into 1/4 inch thick slices.

Cook in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until slices are browned. Remove sausage, and drain on paper towels, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings in pan.

Saute onion and celery in hot drip*pings in Dutch oven over medium-high heat 4 to 5 minutes; stir in garlic, 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning, and rice; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in broth, next 3 ingredients, and remaining 1 1/2 tea*spoons Cajun seasoning. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes.

Remove from heat; stir in sausage and parsley; let stand, covered, 10 more minutes or until rice is tender. Serve with hot sauce, if de*sired

RE: "Charleston Red Beans and Rice"

Sounds yummy, Liz! I LOVE rice/protein entrees like red beans/rice w/ andoullie sausage, jambalaya, paella and Spanish rice (I normally put ground beef and/or pork in my Spanish Rice). Growing up, in grade school, our cooks made a dish called "Texas Hash" that most kids hated- but that I loved. It was similar to my Spanish Rice- it was rice, tomatoes/onions/green bell peppers, ground beef, tomatos/tomato sauce and seasonings. I could eat it non-stop!

Back