What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

playing with my bread

Mama Mangia

Super Moderator
We love homemade breads in this house - regardless of the weather, heat and humidity - bread is usually in the oven.

Today I played with my bread - French bread today

I slit my loaves lengthwise and stuffed with a filling of chopped pepperoni and diced mozzarella that I seasoned with my Tuscan spice blend I make and finely minced garlic. Pinched and rolled to seal; braided together (after shaping); allow second rise - bake.

Of course - it's a sauce day here and that is on as well - happy soppin'!!

Mama, having the sauce cooking, everyone around it with a hunk of bread waiting to sop some sauce before it's even off the stove is a tradition here.
I like the filling you have for your stuffed bread. I make something I call a Stromboli that I also fill with the pepperoni, cheese and Italian spices. I stretch mine out into a rectangular shape, top and the roll jello roll style.
Strange coincidence, my daughter had just asked me yesterday to make some Stromboli soon.

IC - the only way to taste sauce is with a hunk of bread!

I'm happy with a pot of homemade sauce and a loaf of homemade bread!

I make stomboli - we love it and of course - I dip it in sauce - cripe I'd dip anything in sauce!

I filled my french bread "logs" and braided them together - just for the fun of it.

Hey - happy soppin'!

Mama, to Funny "playing with my bread". I never did to much with bread. I Love bread and all kinds but just never got into making it. I think once you get into making bread it's probably addictive. There seems to be a trick to making Good bread, that's what I think anyway or it's very involved. I guess I'm scared to attempt it. I just think that if I made Home-made Bread it would be one sticky mess! I would like to make focaccia bread one of these days. Cookie :)

Cookie, you're right: bread making can become addictive. But what a great passion.

Let me advise you to get a copy of Peter Reinhart's The Bread Bakers Apprentice. He really teaches you what bread is all about. You probably can find it in the library.

Until I read it I just floundered around. I'd follow recipes blindly, not having a clue what was going on with this magical conversion of flour, salt, yeast and water into a loaf of bread. Now I have all sorts of confidence in my bread making, and am even maintaining a sour dough starter---something I wouldn't have even considered even two years ago.

As to focaccia, it's not a bread you want to start with. Because it's a high hydration bread, and for other reasons, it's the sort of thing you want to grow into. But once you do, you'll never buy a focaccia again.

Bread Alone

Cookie, I used to just make the standard home made white bread. It was OK but nothing spectacular.
About 10 years ago I recieved a gift of a book by a baker from my old stomping grounds. The Book was called "Bread Alone" The authors name was Dan Leader.

Learning the history behind bread, how wars were won just because the troops were fed fresh home made bread to build their spirits, the milling process of grains for breads and the importance of quality flours. I found this book full of interesting history and it was so much more than just a book on baking bread.

I learned the scientific aspects of building sour doughs and lavains. I learned which flours produce the amounts of gluten to get the right textures with kneading. The list just goes on and on.

I was very happy to find that now, The Author of the book, the Baker from the Catskills, has finally put up a website. It even has a few of the recipes. I know it has been a work in progress for several years now and it is finally up and running.
Bread Alone

Last edited:
Mama, to Funny "playing with my bread". I never did to much with bread. I Love bread and all kinds but just never got into making it. I think once you get into making bread it's probably addictive. There seems to be a trick to making Good bread, that's what I think anyway or it's very involved. I guess I'm scared to attempt it. I just think that if I made Home-made Bread it would be one sticky mess! I would like to make focaccia bread one of these days. Cookie :)

Yes it is addictive - and then you start creating everything you can think of.
With a bit of practice you will become a pro. I can't imagine NOT having homemade breads! There is not a bakery or a company that can compare!

Thanks everyone , for all the information about bread,that's a Good idea read about it, (I need to re-new my library card anyway). I will try a easy recipe for bread-making. Thanks again, Cookie :)

Last edited:
Another good call, IC.

Dan Leader is one of the leading voices in the artisan bread movement. I've read several of his books (and we've reviewed at least one of them at cheftalk.com).

My sourdough mother actually came right out of Bread Alone.

Another "thing" I like to do with my homemade bread - add my Tuscan seasoning to the dough - after the first rise, shape into a rectangle and place a filling of drained, chopped artichoke hearts, sliced olives, diced sun-dried tomatoes OR roasted red peppers and a blend of Italian cheese that I have on hand down the center - cut striips about an inch wide on each side (from edge to "almost" to the filling and overlap the ends into the center - rise the second time and bake.

Slice to serve and dip in marinara or a good tomatoe-based sauce.

mmmmmm

Mm, That sounds Delicious Mama. I love olives and I'm a fan of Tomatoes too. Anything roasted is really Good in bread. I use olive oil to dip bread in. I like French bread but it can be hard sometimeslike. All bread is Good especially when it's warm.

*You Guy's I will really have to check out those authors you mentioned. Thanks, Cookie :)

Cookie, when you check those books, don't let the science of bread discussions intimidate you. Just take it easy, and it will all make sense---particularly when you actually start baking.

Something else that initially will be a turn-off is the concept of delayed or retarded fermentation. While that actually makes a better loaf, the idea of taking two or three days to bake a loaf of bread scares many people. Don't let it.

There are many good bread books out there that do not go into the detail that Leader and Reinhart do, and which are based on baking start-to-finish in one day. You're local library probably has some of them.

Since it is snowing today - it's a perfect day to make bread!

As I posted above - I'm making a filled bread today - rolling into a rectangle after the first rise, and placing in the center: salami, ham, a cheese blend, banana peppers, sliced tomatoes and slice olives. Cut edges into strips and fold in - rise for the second time and bake.

Homemade steak fries sound good to go along with my hot baked "hero"!

Hey... I never knew that bread could take 2,3 days to make a loaf, that seems like a long time. I have to get to the library still. I will definitely look those books up, see if the library has them. I will have to see what's available.

Thanks, you gave me some good leads on books to making bread. Cookie :)

Mama, your bread sounds delicious! Cookie :)

Cookbooks

Mama, Wow that's a lot of cookbooks! I have a bundle of cookbooks, that I have collected over a few years, I'm now just beginning to enjoy some of them. I have started a folder of some of the recipes you and others on S.P. have given. Cookie :)

I donated over 400 to a local center - so the collection is now over 1000 - lost cookbooks find their way to me for some reason.

Easter Bread

Does anyone make any special types of bread or breads for Easter? I make a braided bread. When the kids were younger I use to set the Easter Eggs between the braids before I baked it. Now that they are older there is no need for that.

I still put the eggs in the braid - it's an Easter tradition here. Every Easter it's that one plus other homemade breads and/or biscuits. Even the traditional homemade bread basket to hold the rolls.

Back