What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aioli (Garlic Mayonnaise)

Mama Mangia

Super Moderator
Aioli (Garlic Mayonnaise)

2 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
2 egg yolks
1/2 tsp salt
freshly ground pepper to taste
2 cups olive oil

Place garlic in mixing bowl and add egg yolks, salt and pepper. Beat rapidly with wire whisk or rotary beater.

Gradually add oil, while beating. Add it drop by drop at first and then in a gradually increasing amount as the mixture thickens. Chill.

This is fine as a dip for raw vegetables. It can also be served with steamed fish, fresh cod in particular.

This is how I do it (I think it's easier):

Put on the blender vase 1 cup vegetable oil (I think olive oil is too strong for this sauce), 1 minced garlic clove, 1 egg (with the white), pinch of salt.

Put the blender inside and turn it on (maximum speed), do not move it till the sauce has come together, it should be very thick, it won't come out the vase unless you take it with a spoon.

Enjoy!!

This is how I do it (I think it's easier):

Put on the blender vase 1 cup vegetable oil (I think olive oil is too strong for this sauce), 1 minced garlic clove, 1 egg (with the white), pinch of salt.

Put the blender inside and turn it on (maximum speed), do not move it till the sauce has come together, it should be very thick, it won't come out the vase unless you take it with a spoon.

Enjoy!!

My view would be that if one dislikes the deep earthy robustness of olive oil- then plain 'ol mayonnaise would serve well... I would think one would wish at least to corrupt this traditional sauce only partially by using just a portion of a neutral oil so as not to eliminate the olive oil all together- if for no other reason than to keep "Mister Luigi Aioli" from rolling in his grave! :)

By the way- welcome to Spice Place, magpie! I'm kevin.

My view would be that if one dislikes the deep earthy robustness of olive oil- then plain 'ol mayonnaise would serve well... I would think one would wish at least to corrupt this traditional sauce only partially by using just a portion of a neutral oil so as not to eliminate the olive oil all together- if for no other reason than to keep "Mister Luigi Aioli" from rolling in his grave! :)

By the way- welcome to Spice Place, magpie! I'm kevin.

Thanks for your welcome!

I'm spanish, and this is how our "Alioli" (literally garlic and oil) sauce is prepared. I don't think I'm corrupting anything, obviously it's a different version from Mr. Aioli (does this person exist ??? :)), but it's the one you would find on any restaurant where I come from, and I think it's pretty good too!!

Back