What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need the pancakes real recipe!

S

simonaskitchen

Hi to everybody, I just register here and I'm writing my first posts on this forum! I'd like to try the real recipe for pancakes. I have one, but I think something's uncorrect because I remember the pancakes I ate in California and NewYork... and mine (maybe it's up to me, eheh :rolleyes: )don't lokk neither similar...
Can anyone suggest me the recipe and the correct preparation?

Thanx, Simona

could you post your recipe so we can compare?? that way we could tell if it is the ingredients or the method that is the culprit.
thanks,
Nan
and Welcome!!!

Simple Pancakes
2 cups of flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
3 tablespoons of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoons of butter
2 eggs
1 cup of milk

Mix all the dry ingredients. Cut the butter into the dry mix. Whisk the eggs into the milk, and then mix the wet ingredients into the dry. Just mix enough to pull the ingredients together. Dont worry if it is a bit lumpy.
On a hot grill or skillet, lightly oil. Pour 1/3 cup of batter per pancake. When the top is full of bubbles and the outside edge looks set, flip and cook until the bottom is golden brown.

For a variation, add a 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to the dry mix and a tablespoon of lemon juice to the milk mixture. Your pancakes will be even lighter.

As I pour my batter and the first side cooks, I like to add items like blue berries, cranberries, bananas, raspberries, chocolate chips.

buy a "complete" box of mix, add water - ta-daaaa

if brave - try a baking mix recipe right off the box - like Bisquick or Jiffy mix

Bisquick makes a yellow jug with pancake mix in it - add water - shake - pour

there are some people that cannot make pancakes (sad to say)

ARGHHH!!! I live in Italy, in the countryside of Florence!!! At the supermarket I can only find some mix for muffins, but nothing for pancakes... :( is the original recipe difficult?
Simona

Thanx ironic Chef! I'm gonna try it this w.e.!!! ;-)))

I have used this recipe for years Simona. I usually make pancakes or waffles every weekend with it. For waffles I just seperate the eggs and fold the egg whites into the rest of the batter at the very end.
I like to use brown sugar in them more than white sugar when making a fruit type pancake or waffle and also add a teaspoon of vanilla extract.

hi dears,i am angel here:).
1 large egg
1 cup all-purpose or whole wheat flour
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
Vegetable shortening
1. In a medium mixing bowl, beat egg until fluffy. Add remaining ingredients, except shortening, and beat until smooth. For thinner pancakes, stir in additional 1 to 2 tablespoons buttermilk.
2. Heat a lightly greased griddle or skillet over medium heat (375*F - 190*C). Griddle is ready when a few drops of water bubble and skitter rapidly around.
3. For each pancake, pour scant 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle. Cook pancakes until surface is covered with bubbles and appear dry around the edges. Turn and cook other side until golden brown.( Makes about 9 (4-inch) pancakes.)

I`ll have to give this recipe to my sister who lives in Italy and can`t get pancake mix in a box ! when they come and visit they bring back a suitcase full !! LOL

hey mamma -

Homemade Pancake Mix

9 pounds all-purpose flour
8 ounces baking powder
1/4 cup salt
24 ounces granulated sugar
24 ounces nonfat dry milk

No directions included. See notes.

Yield:
"12 lb mix"

NOTES : VARIATION:

Buttermilk Pancake Mix. Substitute 1 lb 8 oz dry buttermilk for nonfat dry milk and add 2 Tbsp baking soda.

Pancakes From Mix

2 pounds pancake mix
7 ounces eggs (about 4 total) -- beaten
1 quart water
4 ounces oil or melted shortening

Weigh approximate amount of Pancake Mix

Add beaten eggs, water, and cooled melted fat.

Stir only until mix is dampened.

Cook until cake is full of bubbles. Turn and finish cooking.

Yield:
"30 cakes"

NOTES : To make 50 cakes: use 3 lb of Pancake mix, 6 (10 oz) beaten eggs, 1 1/2 qt water, 6 oz shortening.

To make 100 cakes: use 6 lb of Pancake mix, 12 (1 lb 5 oz) beaten eggs, 3 qt water, 12 oz shortening.

To make 200 cakes: use 12 lb of Pancake mix, 24 (2 lb 10 oz) beaten eggs, 1 1/2 gal water, 1 lb 8 oz shortening.

This is the recipe I use:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 1/4 cups milk
1 egg
3 tablespoons butter, melted

1. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, egg and melted butter; mix until smooth.
2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.

It makes 8-10 pancakes depending on the size. Sometimes I double up the recipe, cook all of the pancakes, and freeze the pancakes we don't eat. It's a quick and easy breakfast for my daughter during the week.

You can also add cinnamon & raisins, chocolate chips, various nuts, blueberries, etc.

Simple Pancakes
2 cups of flour
3 tablespoons of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoons of butter
2 eggs
1 cup of milk

Mix all the dry ingredients. Cut the butter into the dry mix. Whisk the eggs into the milk, and then mix the wet ingredients into the dry. Just mix enough to pull the ingredients together. Dont worry if it is a bit lumpy.
On a hot grill or skillet, lightly oil. Pour 1/3 cup of batter per pancake. When the top is full of bubbles and the outside edge looks set, flip and cook until the bottom is golden brown.

For a variation, add a 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to the dry mix and a tablespoon of lemon juice to the milk mixture. Your pancakes will be even lighter.

As I pour my batter and the first side cooks, I like to add items like blue berries, cranberries, bananas, raspberries, chocolate chips.

Wow! thank you so much for this recipe. Gotta try this at home.

Simple Pancakes
2 cups of flour
3 tablespoons of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoons of butter
2 eggs
1 cup of milk

Tried this. I liked the additional items. Gives additional flavor to the rather regular pancake.

what difference would it make if one is present or both is present or none is present? (i'm really sorry for being a noob)

It is best to follow the recipe as written. Alone - baking soda is bitter and does not fluff so you would need to add vinegar or lemon juice because baking soda needs acid to counteract the bitterness and make it fluff. If you have cream of tartar, you can make your own baking powder.

If a recipe calls for baking soda - you cannot use baking powder - and if a recipe calls for baking powder you can use baking soda but you will need to add more and it can effect the taste.

With many recipes you are better off just leaving it alone and following the recipe the way it was wrtten.

Great! Thanks I get it now Mama! Sorry if I ask too many questions though. But it's simpler than reading stuffs from books. Thanks again!

Back