What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cherry-on-Top?

chubbyalaskagriz

If you're like me, when you entertain folks for dinner, dessert is quite important- sometimes, since it's the last step in the building af a food-memory at your table, it can be one of the most important aspects of the meal.

What is your signature summer-time dessert for entertaining guests?

Here in the hot/humid Mid-West during summer months I try to avoid turning on the oven at all costs. I might make cakes and pies in the Fall- but from June thru August I try to stick to other options.

I'll often use store-bought pound cake or cheesecake and top w/ fresh berries and whipped cream.Or perhaps I'll top ice cream sundaes w/ anything from berries to fried whiskey-apples, or bananas foster. (Last weekend my Mom and I enjoyed incredible vanilla ice cream topped w/ sliced bananas and raspberries- absolutely heavenly!)

When you're brought up having to have homemade bread in the oven 24/7 - regardless of whether it's a holiday, you're half dead with a cold, 100 degress outside, etc. it doesn't matter when the oven is on. It's not unusual to have the oven on in the middle of the night when it's a bit cooler. So I like to take advantage of it. Bake a couple of pound cakes, cool, wrap and freeze. Make a batch of cupcakes and freeze - frost later when serving. Ditto with coffee cakes, quick breads, etc. When you really think about it - a cake takes a half hour or less - cookies less than that. If I have to bake a pie shell - it's another quickie in the oven. Make several, cool, wrap and freeze.

I still make my ice cream, ice cream concoctions and frozen desserts, etc. and one of these days I will have air conditioning and it won't matter when I bake!

Back