What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Since I called mama "Jezebel" a bit ago...

chubbyalaskagriz

While reading a couple New Orleans/Mississpi Delta cookbooks (links for the 2 books below, if ya wanna check-em out) a while back I “discovered” a sauce I’d never heard of before that sounded intriguing. Sounds like it comes from a long tradition…
Here’s a recipe I found- are any of you familiar? What do you use it for? Is this recipe similar to yours?

Jezebel Sauce

1 (10 ounce) jar apple jelly
1 (10 ounce) jar pineapple fruit preserves
1 (8 ounce) jar prepared horseradish
1 tablespoon ground dry mustard
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
In a small bowl, mix together apple jelly, pineapple fruit preserves, prepared horseradish, ground dry mustard and cracked black pepper. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours, or overnight, before serving.

Amazon.com: Screen Doors and Sweet Tea: Recipes and Tales from a Southern Cook: Martha Hall Foose: Books

Amazon.com: Crescent City Cooking: Unforgettable Recipes from Susan Spicer's New Orleans: Susan Spicer, Paula Disbrowe: Books

I am sure Mama will forgive you're being silly! I am wondering what you would eat that sauce on? Maybe pork? I have never heard of it, although it sounds different and kinda got a kick to it!

Hey - I happen to resemble that! LOL

and here's my recipe for Jezebel sauce:

1.2 oz. dry mustard
4 oz. jar horseradish
16 oz. jar pineapple preserves (use any flavor you like)
16 oz. jar apple jelly (stay only with apple jelly)

Make paste of dry mustard and horseradish
Add pineapple and apple jelly
Stir by hand until thoroughly mixed
Sauce will keep for several months in refrigerator
Makes 1 quart

BTW - Hey Kev - I posted 4 cake recipes for you - I don't care which order you make them in - Just call me when they are done! LOL

and you can bring them to th HOEdown at Cathy's this weekend!

PARTY TIME!

Mama's on a roll..........................

Welllll I have bad news guys, but we're off on a camping trip this weekend (leave in a few hours) and I will have to miss all your fine cakes, but I will take a rain check and of-course here's the keys to my house in case you decide to come over to the hoe-down anyway! I am sure my neighbors will come join you....LOL

Thanx Cathy - we'll clean up the mess when we're done! LOL
Enjoy camping - and I hope it's warm enough for you - today it was 46 degrees out there! Freezing all over again!

Love whipped cream!!! I was just wishing I had some, I came home from camping and made some chocolate pudding after I finished cooking it and was pouring it into serving size cups I was so wishing I had some whipped cream so I could layer the pudding with whipped cream and finish it off with a spoonful of whipped cream on top then a nice cherry on that! Makes a plain cusard cup of pudding extra-ordinary!!! To make it totally over the top put the pudding into fluted wine or champagne glasses hee-hee!!!:p

Hey Kev...did Mama whop you with her rolling pin for calling her a Jezebel ? LOL

hehehe....better be good Kev....or those shoes made by mama will be on your feet !

I love you guys!

I wouldn't put Kev in concrete shoes - he's our offical cake baker for our parties! LOL
(there's a method to my madness!)

Back