What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Huli Huli Pineapple

The Ironic Chef

Description:
As many of my friends know, I love to grill. On PBS there was a program called Barbecue University and now it has morphed into a program called Primal Grill. In the past I posted a Barbecue Chicken with a coffee rub and coffee Barbecue sauce theme.
Now I am sharring this recipe for those that don't watch TV or have seen the program.
Pineapple is by far my favorite fruit. This recipe is a shocker and is an excellent Barbecued dessert and making it while sitting around enjoying the meal and company gets plenty of oooooos and ahhhhhs. The presentation will blow everyone away and it is almost a shame to cut it up and serve. It goes well with out the ice cream but I love blue berry cheese cake ice cream and decided to serve the chunks of glazed pineapple over that.

Enjoy. IC

Ingredients:
1 large ripe pineapple

For the glaze:

1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup dark rum
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
1 pint blackberry or blueberry ice cream or sorbet for serving (optional)

You'll also need: 1 rotisserie; 8 martini glasses (optional)

Directions:
1. Cut the rind off the pineapple, leaving the leafy crown intact. I find a serrated knife works best for this. Even after you've removed the rind, you'll notice some diagonal rows of "eyes" (brown spots)-cut these out, making long diagonal V-shaped cuts to give the pineapple a rippled spiral effect.

2. Make the glaze. Place the butter, brown sugar, rum, cream, lime juice, cinnamon, and salt in a heavy saucepan and cook over high heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until thick and syrupy, 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.

3. Set up your grill for spit-roasting and preheat to high.

4. Using a long slender knife, make starter holes in the crown end and base of the pineapple, pushing the knife lengthwise through the center to facilitate inserting the spit. Working gently but firmly, insert the rotisserie spit through the pineapple. (Be sure to have the first set of prongs on already.) Tighten the prongs. Loosely cover the pineapple leaves with foil. Place the end of the spit in the rotisserie motor socket and turn on the motor.

5. Spit-roast the pineapple until golden brown and tender, about 1 hour, basting with glaze every 15 minutes. You should have about half the glaze leftover for serving.

6. To serve, unspit the pineapple and unwrap the leaves. Show it off because the presentation coming off the grill is way cool.. Then cut it crosswise into slices for serving. Drizzle each slice with leftover glaze.

7. For the ultimate gilding of the lily, cut the pineapple slices in quarters and serve over blackberry ice cream in martini glasses. Spoon the glaze on top and garnish each glass with a pineapple leaf.

Looks like an exotic pineapple. I've never tried to grill pineapple or any recipe with pineapple in it.....Thanks

Whole pineapples are going on sale tomorrow for $1.99 each.
I am going to have to try this. Thanks for sharing.

reminds me of huli huli chicken, has anyone ever had it? its pretty iconic back in hawaii. i have memories of seeing dozens and dozens of chickens roasting out in the open with the aroma filling the air :)

Hello The Ironic Chef
I love pineapples
I love grilled meat with pineapples
Gives a wonderful flavor
thanks
:)

Hello chubbyalaskagriz :)
It's very delicious
I love pineapples in the development of barbecue
He was great with grilled meat
Waiting for your opinion when you Taste
:D
mream

Sounds like an interesting mixture especially with dark rum, dark brown sugar & lime.
sounds Good, I like rum Thanks, Coolie :)

I just love pineapple.

I have to say it is my favourite fruit and juice.

I love it with grilled with gammon, pork, chicken. Grilled on the BBQ is delicious.:)

reminds me of huli huli chicken, has anyone ever had it? its pretty iconic back in hawaii. i have memories of seeing dozens and dozens of chickens roasting out in the open with the aroma filling the air :)

As I mentioned when I posted this thread, the author of the recipe has a show on PBS called BBQ University.

He takes recipes from traditional BBQ from around the world to influence other dishes as all good cooks do, lol. I have found so many of his creations (or the shows creations) a learning expierience and have really enjoyed the differnt flavor combinations.

IChef, you got me droolin'...

what an awesome recipe you have shared. Thank you so much.

He**, ooops, I mean, heck, if I can't find a pineapple I am going to make the sauce and pour myself a glass :D

Back