What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Potato Salad

Kathy W.

Okay folk's it's getting close to the Fourth of July! We need to start planning the fun foods to feed everyone. I made up this potato salad recipe when I first married. My mother-in-law told me for our first family reunion I was to bring potato salad. Well teaching myself to cook I boiled some potatoes and while they cooked I cut up some onion, pickles, and celery. When the potatoes were done I added mayo, and mustard and a little pickle juice and a splash of milk and the cut up veggies and I whipped up the mixture and scooped it into my grandmother's favorite bowl I still have. I top the salad with a dash of paprika. I hope you will try this and enjoy. Thank's Kathy W.

Thanks for posting your potato salad recipe Kathy. I make mine much the same way. I do add a teaspoon of sugar and a tablespoon of processed horseradish though, to my mayo and milk mixture. I also like to add my mayo mixture to the potatoes after they cool.
I saw an interesting recipe that mixed a sour cream and mayo mixture to the potatoes while they were hot like you would for a German salad. Then scallions and bacon bits were mixed in. I was thinking that that salad would taste much like a baked potato.

actually I've never tried potato salad...but I love to eat salad. Maybe I will try this potato salad at home. I am interested on the taste of this. This is new to me. Very exciting to try this potato salad. Thanks for sharing!

You can try to use vinegar and a little bit of olive oil instead of mayo from time to time. This makes the potato salad lighter and gives it a very spicy taste.

Thanks Kathy. I will try that one. Maybe if someone prefers less fat in the potato salad an option would be to use vinegar instead of mayo. Thanks a lot Kathy.

You can try to use vinegar and a little bit of olive oil instead of mayo from time to time. This makes the potato salad lighter and gives it a very spicy taste.

How about the whole recipe bittersweet. It sounds interesting and could work on my low sodium diet.

4 potatoes
4 eggs
1/2 stalk celery, chopped
1/4 cup sweet relish
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
1/2 cup mayonnaise
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes; drain and chop.

2. Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil; cover, remove from heat, and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water; peel and chop.

3. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, eggs, celery, sweet relish, garlic, mustard, mayonnaise and salt and pepper. Gently mix together and serve warm.

Back