What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red Velvet Cake

Style

This is one of my favorites. Has anybody had any experience baking red velvet cake? Do you guys bake it from scratch or pick it up from the bakery?

I have made it several times from scratch. I have also used the box mix to make it but I dont think it is as good as scratch made.

Red Velvet Cake always brings to mind the "bleedin' armadillo cake" from the movie "Steel Magnolias"!

It always brings that to my mind too Kevin!!! I am sure if there weren't so much red food coloring in the cake mix I would eat it!!! I will not tocuh this cake at all as it is dangerous to injest this much red dye!!!:mad:

Yeah you eat all the freaking red dye (uh...excuse me food coloring) and there will be a new thread started by Kevin Called: What A Way To Go---DANG!!!!:D Even have to be closed casket, since you'll be radio active and glowing a very odd red color even as you lay dead as a door-nail!!!:rolleyes: I am outraged with the fact that they even would offer me a piece when I go somewhere- I actually think they are trying to poision me LOL:eek:

LOL - Cathy - you guys crack me up - but you are so right! Use BEETS - it's healthier and you won't glow in the dark!

I've always been totally intrigued by Red Velvet Cake. As I've posted before- it seems like it oughtta be such a sweet morsel w/ so much interesting and exotic potential- alas, it seems kinda like a DUD when it comes to actual history, ingredients, legacy, etc. That said- and I agree the extreme amount of food coloring IS alarming- I STILL love the IDEA of it. In fact, one of my co-workers who is originally from Louisiana is getting married in Sept. and I gave her the idea of having a Red Velvet Wedding Cake- and she took the idea. I think it'll be unique, interesting, and not so run-of-the-mill. I sure hope the gal who's making the cake does it justice for her!

Back