What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Pies Hold Up/Slice the Best?

Which pie holds up best

• Lemon meringue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Key lime

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
M

MoreCowbell

My husband and I are making several pies for a friend's wedding next weekend.

We wanted to do two different kinds and already have them sliced on plates in some sort attractive way at the reception so everything is easy and pretty.

What kinds of pies will hold up well and not totally fall apart?

We did Emeril's Chocolate Pecan Pie with caramel sauce last weekend for a friend's birthday and it turned out great and held up well, so we're pretty sure about that for one of the kinds, but what for the other? We thought lemon meringue or key lime might work well and also be summery...the lemon meringue would also fit in with the color theme (as does the chocolate pecan.) Do either of those pies slice fairly cleanly and hold their shape well? Any other ideas? My mother suggested pumpkin but I'm not sure if that is too "fall."

I totally understand what you're saying about pie varieties that hold up nicely- portion well, and keep a good, presentable shape. Many fruit pies run or bleed like the dickens- though some don't. (Of course they can still TASTE incredibly delicious!) Many cream pies, custard pies and mousse pies hold perfectly- but then again- not always. I won't even try recommending any- simply because it's pretty much all in the specific recipe. But from my many years as a professional chef whose baked and portioned proll'y hundreds of thousands of pies- letto plate-up for dessert cases, sweets tables, buffets and brunches. To make them loook nice on a plate or tray, try this: Remove the whole baked, cooled pie from the pie-tin and turn UP-SIDE-DOWN and slice it through the BOTTOM. Then use your pie-server or spatula to turn each piece right-side-up to position onto the plate or tray. What this helps to do is keep the top-crust completely undisturbed, and nice-looking. Works every time- LIKE A CHARM!

BTW, welcome to Spice Place! We love meeting new folks and making new friends!

Kev - I agree with you on this one - it all depends on the pie. One can make the same pie another makes and the results would be different as well.

Slab pies are best - pre-cutting is fine - possibly pre-cut and leave a small pie server in the pie for helpie-selfie service.

The humidity and temperature will also have an affect.

Back