What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Herb-Ox and No-Salt?

jpshaw

Does anyone on this forum use the product Herb-Ox, which is a powdered instant broth available in sodium free (5 mg per cup) or any of the salt substitutes marketed in my area under the name of "No-Salt" which is basically potassium chloride?

I'm on a very low sodium diet because of heart problems but no one else in my family is so I end up cooking for one most of the time while they get take-out pizza or chicken. This is not too much of a problem but I cannot be making huge pots of chicken or beef broth for only one person.

It might cost a bit more than using salt, but why not cook low sodium for the family??It would be healthier for them than take out which probably has way too much salt for anyone?
You could also teach them about using herbs, spices, citrus and other acids to season foods. They will develop life long good habits??

Nan

It might cost a bit more than using salt, but why not cook low sodium for the family?? Nan

I've done that. They said they would rather have the salt and have some taste in it and I could have the low sodium diet. I can't blame them. If it wasn't for my heart problem I would add the salt too.

I think I would a bit of a harda**, leave the salt shaker on the table, along with small bottles of cider and balsamic vinegar, slices of lemon and lime. And if they want salt they can add it??

Suggest they try the vinegar or citrus before they add salt? In the Caribbean the citrus is always on the table. I had clients at work asking for it and soon the other guys were trying it. Was really cool, cause many of these guys needed to cut down on salt and it seemed easier if the idea came from another dude instead of the grumpy old woman cook!
Good Luck and take care!
Nan

My wife is in charge of normal cooking if any is done. I am informed I am only in charge of my own low salt meal which is not a problem to me. It just limits what I can cook knowing its only for one person.

My wife is in charge of normal cooking if any is done. I am informed I am only in charge of my own low salt meal which is not a problem to me. It just limits what I can cook knowing its only for one person.

WELL I'd infor wife & all of them that Dad is indeed an important member of this little tribe and as a result could we not all work together as one to implement some changes in the diet for a while to experiment and at least see if it might not work for all concerned! I don't think that would be imposing any harsh restrictions or anything, but rather pulling together and seeing if it could work and hey it might even be fun if everyone would get involved!

It's funny that for instance...Mom goes on a diet, should she alone have to cook solely for her new diet requirements? Or could she not perhaps enlist the entire family in her battle? Maybe even get the kids interested in trying to scope out new low-fat or low-cal recipes that they too might enjoy! If everyone would work together and make it fun couldn't it have a much better chance of working>??;)

Of course it's hard cooking for one - but - it is worth the time and the effort to make your own chicken and beef broth. There is so much you can do with it - just freeze in portions for yourself. You can make a nice gravy with it to make your meal seem more complete. You can make soup by adding some frozen veggies and a handful of rice, pasta, couscous or barley.

As far as the no-salt products - No Salt is one that I tried - it's not bad - but I do agree that home cooking, done the right way, will lower everyone's sodium intake and it won't take away from the flavor.

No one's heart was worse than my dad's - and his sodium levels, cholesterol levels - all fine with no blockages. And he ate everything - including whole milk, ice cream, etc. the doctor said it was all the home cooking that did it for him. The doctor wanted my mom and I to write a cookbook and teach others how to cook.

Weak hearts run on his side of the family - and he was a 4-pack a day (Lucky Strike) smoker - that's what did him in.

I started using Herb-Ox after receiving Donald Gazzaniga's book "The No-Salt, Lowest Sodium Cookbook". He was a big advocate of it and included it in many of his recipes. It allowed me to start enjoying soup again, which was simply put; flavored salt water that was not on my diet. Yes, I will on occasion make some chicken broth but it is a longer process that "ties up HER kitchen for too long". Did you ever notice Dad never has a kitchen other then my gas grill and smoker outside.

I can see her point and understand the rest may need a cheeseburger or pizza now and then and she does on occasion make one of Gazzaniga's chicken dishes that I love.

Yes shipscook I have gravitated to the citrus, herbs, spices and vinegars and the wife says I use too much of it for her taste. Without the salt you have to add something to it.

Anyone know where I can get Adolph's Salt Substitute? I have a container that I purchased many years ago and now I need more and have friends that also want some. We are not finding it in our local supermarkets.

Anyone know where I can get Adolph's Salt Substitute? I have a container that I purchased many years ago and now I need more and have friends that also want some. We are not finding it in our local supermarkets.

I think all your Salt Substitutes are the same thing. Potassium Chloride with a few extra ingredients to take the edge off of the bitterness. Morton has one and there is one called No-Salt. Look for these if you cannot find your Adolphs. I doubt you will be able to tell any difference.

Back