What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ocra and tomatoes?

jpshaw

I've been having trouble with my okra lately. It all ends up "woody" and I was wondering if something could be substituted for it and still have the same basic flavor? I love okra and tomatoes but am getting tired of the texture I'm getting lately and was thinking of using squash instead. Any suggestions appreciated.

Last edited:
depending on your recipe - what your are making - you can substitute just about anything - also have you tried frozen okra?

Not finding frozen okra in my area but will check one more store. If that doesn't work I will just sub the squash for it and try it.

There really is no substitute for OKRA that I am aware of. If it is getting woody it is beacuse we are coming toward the end of the growng season. Try picking it while it is still young, also you could cook it by frying rather than using it in soup or stew. The reason squash would not be the substitute of choice is because Okra has a slight thickening effect on the dish it is boiled in for instance: in Gumbo okra is used to slightly thicken it. In soup and stew or boiled on top of a pot full of peas or butterbeans it is used the same way. Your squash would add more liquid to the dish and no thickening effect at all. If you need your soup or broth a little thicker you may try using a small amount of cornstarch. In making Okra and tomatoes the squash would make the dish more moist as well. It would not taste the same as squash and okra.

Fried Okra

Wash and cut okra into small bite size rounds, removing the tips as you cut it up. Dredge all your Okra pieces in a bowl of cornmeal. Place the breaded okra into a large skillet of hot oil and pan-fry until a nice brown color is achieved. Drain on paper towel and serve hot. Sprinkle with salt to taste.

Last edited:
that's what I was thinking too Cathy, it needed to be picked earlier.

Here our markets have frozen okra both in little whole pods and sliced. mmmm, good stuff!

Nan

Nan this past Fri. one of my customers sold me a fresh batch of Okra from his garden, I fried it up and my step-daughter and her hubby loved it. They are from New York and graduates of the Culinary Art Institute of New York and yet had never had fried Okra. I am glad I fried alot because it went like hot potatoes. Now that we have them living with us and have a combined household boy are we eating some really outstanding meals!!! We have always eaten a broad range of cusines, but now that they are here it has broadened even wider, and needless to say we are all loving it!:)

I'm actually growing the stuff for the first time. The younger pods had black seeds and were actually more woody then the old. I found a few that sliced easily and cooked right but about half was too woody to eat. I quess I just don't know how or when to pick it. As you can see from my first post I really don't even know how to spell OKRA. I started to edit that but you guys have already seen it.

BTW I tried every store in my small town and there is no frozen okra. Canned is off of my diet because of sodium levels.

Last edited:
I'm actually growing the stuff for the first time. The younger pods had black seeds and were actually more woody then the old. I found a few that sliced easily and cooked right but about half was too woody to eat. I quess I just don't know how or when to pick it. As you can see from my first post I really don't even know how to spell OKRA. I started to edit that but you guys have already seen it.

BTW I tried every store in my small town and there is no frozen okra. Canned is off of my diet because of sodium levels.

JP it may well be that the Okra is woody as a result of it being so late in the season, or it may be there are nematode in your soil or some drought condition, but at least you are getting some and that is a plus! I have grown it right up until the first frost before but have to be picky about what pods to pick as they do start turning woody at the very last of the season! I will tell you this though that Okra is the most productive stuff in the garden, I have never seen anything like it! It blooms and produces all summer as long as you keep it picked! By the way canned Okrs is just so - so it leaves alot to be desired. Another little tid-bit of OKRA TRIVIA : Okra is loaded with calcium!!! That is another reason to grow and eat it! It is very good for you:)

If you let your Okra mature to long it will get woody .

Did you know that the seeds of an okra can be toasted, ground, and served as a coffee substitute ?

I grew lots in Florida , Can`t wait to start growing it in NY , I love to watch it grow and the flowers are just so lovely .

Wow I have never heard of using the seeds for a coffe substitite! I have heard of Chickory coffee, but never Okra coffee LOL I would die if I had to drink that;)

Another thing that you mentioned is the flowers are pretty and they are...the okra plant is in the Hibiscus family and so if you see a resemblence to the hibiscus flowers and the okra blooms now you now why!!!

IC I like the sound of the recipe you mentioned, I love OKRA and any recipe that calls for it I would love!!!

Well It's now fall and I'm finding frozen okra all the time and enjoying okra and tomatoes however I will have to try IC's green beans and tomatoes but without his bacon. I will try some Herb-Ox beef bouillon in its stead. Lemon juice is not a problem with low sodium diets.

Okra seed. Growing up when there was no coffee the seeds were roasted and ground and used for the morning coffee. Some times in life we have to do what has to be done. Believe me it was a great time in my life. CF:)

We actually have really good frozen ocra at out local Walmart now and I've fixed ocra and tomatoes twice. Will do so a lot more in the future.

Now, that was good okra!

After reading this thread of posts, I immediately went to the garden and cut the ones I had thought I should leave for a another day or two. I just cooked them and wow! They weren't woody at all. Oooo, I do love good okra! Hurray! No more woody okra. Thanks.

Peggy, you did good. Okra has to be cut when very young. Okra is good food, although I like it best breaded and fried. CF:)

Back