What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lemon Curd

The Ironic Chef

Category: DessertsServings: 1 1/2 cups

Description:
Lemon Curd is an absolute favorite of mine when it comes to the use of lemons. Lemon curd can have so many uses. Eat it as it is, use it for a pie filling, put it between layers of cake(great for an Easter cake), make a no bake cheese cake and use the lemon curd as a layer, fill pastries with lemon curd, mmmmmm. lemon curd filled donuts, lemon curd filled puffed pastries, lemon curd filled Yorkshire puddings.. lets not forget lemon bars. I know I'm not the only one to eat a whole pan of them.

I have this recipe that I tweaked just a bit from years ago taken from the Joy Of Baking or Cooking something or other..

Ingredients:
3 large eggs
1/3 cup of lemon juice (2-3 lemons) (do not use the bottled lemon juice)
3/4 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon of grated lemon zest
4 tablespoons of unsalted butter, at room temperature and cut into small pieces

Directions:
In a stainless steel bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water, whisk together the eggs, sugar, and lemon juice until blended. Cook, stirring constantly (to prevent it from curdling), until the mixture becomes thick (like sour cream or a hollandaise sauce) Get out your instant read and try for 160* This will take about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and immediately pour through a fine strainer to remove any lumps. Cut the butter into small pieces and whisk into the mixture until the butter has melted. Add the lemon zest and let cool. The lemon curd will continue to thicken as it cools. Cover immediately (so a skin doesn't form) and refrigerate for up to a week.
Makes 1 1/2 cups.
If you want a lighter lemon curd whip 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream and fold it into the lemon curd.

Enjoy, IC

We sometimes make EZ Berry Shortcakes by using store-bought Sara Lee pound cake sliced, slathered w/ lemon or lime curd, sprinkled w/ sugared blackberries (or ANY berry) and topped w/ whipped cream. The lemon curd is a fantastic addition w/ a real dimension of extra flavor! :)

Back