What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ratatouille Terrine

lesley

I made this at the weekend to go with cold roast chicken
RatatouilleTerrinewith-chicke.jpg

It tasted gorgeous, you could have it as a starter or as a buffet dish & it can be made a couple of days ahead.

RatatouilleTerrine-split1.jpg

RatatouilleTerrine2.jpg

Serves 6-8 Appetizer/Side
Prep Time 25 mins
Ingredients

* 3 Large bell peppers, red, orange and yellow, deseeded and roasted
* 1 Large aubergine (eggplant)
* 2 Large courgettes (zucchini)
* 4 Tbsp Olive oil
* Rock salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 15 fl oz Passata
* 2 Tbsp Gelatine

Method

* Heat the grill/broiler
* Cut the peppers into quarters, lengthways this makes it easier to remove the skin once you've charred them. Take out the stalks and deseed
* Push the peppers down firmly on the grill rack to ensure all the skin is exposed to the heat, grill on high until the skins are black
* Set aside until cool, then peel off the black skin
* Or you can put the peppers straight into a plastic bag, seal and leave for 15 minutes to sweat, then peel, your choice
* Lay a sheet of aluminium foil on the rack
* Slice the courgettes lengthwise, about 1/4″ thick
* Lay on the foil and baste with 2 Tbsp olive oil, both sides and season
* Grill until golden, 3 minutes each side
* Set aside
* Slice the aubergine lengthways, and repeat the procedure
* Grease a 9”x5”x2 ½’’ loaf tin, then lay clingfilm (plastic wrap) against the bottom and side with extra hanging out from the sides.
* Put the Passata in a small saucepan. Sprinkle the gelatine over the top. Dissolve while stirring over low heat. Do not allow it to boil. Remove from heat and set aside.
* Put a layer of roasted peppers down in the prepared loaf pan. Spread 2 tablespoons of passata/gelatine mixture on top. Place a layer of courgette/zucchini on top with another 2 tablespoons of passata/gelatine. Place a layer of eggplant on top and more passata/gelatine. Continue layering until you finish the vegetables.
* Any remaining passata/gelatine mixture pour over the top, and give a gently shake to the tin, just to make sure the passata is dispersed evenly
* Cover up with the plastic wrap. Refrigerate to set, at least 4 hours

Cook's tips

* Can be made a day or two in advance

Equipment

* Small saucepan
* 9”x5”x2 ½” deep, loaf tin
* Clingfilm

Shopping List

* 3 Large bell peppers, red orange and yellow
* 1 Large aubergine (eggplant)
* 2 Large courgettes (zucchini)
* 4 Tbsp Olive oil
* Rock salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 15 fl oz Passata
* 2 Tbsp Gelatine

Last edited:
Ver interesting dish it looks so different. Have you ever tried a Moroccan dish called Spicy Eggplant and Tomato Salad? It is quite easy to prepare and also very delicious eaten cold or hot!

I do not use near as much cilantro as the recipe calls for just a few leaves is all. If you like salsa from Mexican restaurants I imagine you will like this although it is not nearly as hot. In case you do not know Cumin is a spice used in like making Chili and alot of mexican dishes it is not hot, and is used quite a bit in Moroccan cooking.

I found this to be more on the order of a salsa rather than the salads we are accustomed to, but extremely delicious and full of flavor, I love eggplant so it was perfect for an eggplant lover! If you do not like hot & spicy use less Harissa Paste and it will give the flavor with-out so much heat.

2 Lg. Eggplants
4 Lg. Tomatoes (skinned and chopped to a pulp)
6 1/2 tbsp. Olive Oil
2 - 3 cloves of garlic
1 tsp. Moroccan Harissa Paste -***I will list the recipe for this***
a small bunch of flat leaf parsley (finely chopped)
freshly squeezed juice of 1 lemon
sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tsp. freshly roasted cumin seeds, roasted and ground (I use my ground cumin I already have on hand)
bread, to serve

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the eggplant on a baking sheet and bake for 30 about min's. or until soft when you press them with a finger. Put the tomatoes in an oven proof dish, pour over 1/2 the olive oil and pop them in the oven with the eggplants. Remove the eggplants and tomatoes and let cool until cool enough to handle. Using a sharp cut the eggplants in half and scoop out the pulp and chop it to a pulp.

Heat the rest of the olive oil in a heavy-based skillet, add the garlic and saute until it begins to color, stirring constantly. Add the tomatoes and Harissa and cook over a med. heat for 5 - 8 minutes, until thick and pulpy. Add the eggplants, parsley, and cilantro. Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Tip into a serving bowl and serve warm or at room temperature with a dusting of roasted cumin and chunks of bread.

****Harissa Paste****

8 Dried red chiles (Horn or New Mexico deseeded)
2-3 garlic cloves finely chopped
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground corriander
1/4 cup olive oil

Makes roughly 4 tbsp. ****(a little goes a long way)****

Place chiles in a bowl and cover with warm water, let soak for 1 hour. Drain & squeeze out excess water. Using a mortar and pestle, pound them to a paste with the garlic and salt (or whizz them in an electric mixer). Beat in the cumin and corriander and bind with the olive oil.

Store the Harrisa Paste in a sealed jar in the refergerator with a thin layer of olive oil poured on top. Keeps well for approx. 1 month.

Recipe From: Flavors of Morocco cookbook

Last edited:
Back