What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Today's bread

Ask and ye shall receive, it's so simple even a man can make it LOL

3 cups of flour
1/4 tsp yeast
1-1/4 tsp salt
1-1/2 cups water.

there is a video on youtube which explains it all. I can't post links because of my low post count but just put this in the address bar of your browser youtube.com/watch?v=13Ah9ES2yTU and add the www at the beginning.

And have some good cabots butter on hand, because nothing says happiness better than warm crunchy rustic bread with real butter :)

I've used all kinds of flour making this and it's awesome. Today I'm going to make it a provolone bread. Add chunks of provolone and when it bakes the cheese that melts and comes to the surface makes an awesome cheesy crunchy goodness

I would very much like to try this Rick but you're going to have to post the directions. v=13Ah9ES2yTU with www. in front did not bring up anything for me. If it's "no knead" it shouldn't take too long to post the directions. I assume mix it all together then allow 30 minutes to rise then bake at an unknown temp for an unknown period of time.

I found it just fine using the address he gave JP.

Try this click on his post that names the address and hit Quote, from there go to the address and hit Ctrl c that will copy the address for you, then just paste it on your address bar at the top of your screen, being sure to paste it after the www.

Unfortunatley I could only watch it w/out sound here at work, but when I get home I will re-watch it.

There is a book that I bought called "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes" and it reminds me of this recipe. I am impressed with the no-knead method! I have severe Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and the no-knead is of-course a pleasure for me to make vs. the kneaded dough! When using a kneaded bread I just break out the mixer and plug in my dough hooks:p But I'll tell you the no-knead works like a charm every time so I opt for the easiest route to take most of the time.

By the way Rick is 100% correct in his note to use real butter!!! Nothing beats it on homemade bread! Hey Rick I have not seen Cabot's here, but I do buy their cheese as it is available. I love Cabot Creamery's products. My sister in Vermont 1st turned me on to Cabot's and I am totally spoiled by their terrific quality cheese products. One of the very few that put out a nautural sharp cheddar that has not been dyed orange!

Last edited:
I finally got it up on the third try. But like you I had no sound at all and after about a minute it froze up. If you ever fiqure it out let me know. Time and temp might do it.

Ok sorry I was vague in my description. The bread is easy. Just mix all the ingredients. Cover your bowl and let it sit for 12 hours in a warm place. An oven works well for this. Take it out of the bowl, fold it over twice (add a little more flour if it's sticky) Then cover with a towel for 2 more hours. Put your cast iron dutch oven w/ cover in a 500 degree oven to get hot. After the dutch oven has gotten hot, put the dough in and put the cover back on. Bake it for 30 minutes, then take the cover off for another ten minutes to get a nice golden brown crust. The video really covers it well that's why I didn't explain all the steps.

Hope it works out well for you :)

I think my post count is high enough now LOL

Here is the dutch oven
DSC02889.jpg

And the dough ready to go in
DSC02891.jpg

Into the hot pan
DSC02892.jpg

Thanks. I used whole wheat flour for this one. It tastes good but It's better with regular white flour if you're gonna use the provolone. I want to try one with slivers of jalapenos and cheese :)

Re: Delicious provolone bread

Rick,
Hi and hope you had a great Thanksgiving..quick question for you regarding the provolone bread. When did you add the provolone and romano cheese? In addition, did you add small chunks of provolone OR did you grate the provolone. Thanks again Rick ... I will be making this bread in the next week or so..In addition, I just purchased the 7 quart dutch oven..hope it is large enough..what do you think?

All the best.
Belle

Last edited:
The romano cheese was grated and mixed with the dough, I never measure things like that so I would guess about a 1/4 cup. The provolone was chunks about 3/4" square or close to it. I just pushed them into the ball of dough randomly just before baking. I just kept pushing in the chunks till I thought "hey maybe that's enough" LOL

I'm pretty sure my dutch oven is the same size so it should work for you

Hope it turns out well for you :)

Back