What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for a good pear recipe

ricksrealpitbbq

I have some asian pears that I'd like to make something out of. I need some ideas. They're a bit hard for eating but I thought cooked they should be fine.

Thanks

try a pear pie or pear bread or any apple recipe - just substitute pears for it - you won't know the difference and you can mix apples with pears and you won't know the difference

Hey Rick!

Cooked they are awesome, I make the finest pear cobbler in the world with them!!!

Here's my very easy recipe:

Peel and dice pears (enough to fill a med. large size sauce pan) pour in a cup of sugar, 1/2 cup of water, and tsp. or so of cinnamon place on med low heat and allow to simmer until nice and soft (you want juice so do keep a check on moisture level)melt a stick of butter and put melted butter & cooked pears into a 9x12 glass baking dish, take 1 cup of self-rising flour, 1 cup of sugar, and 1 cup of milk mix until well combined pour this dough over the pears and place into a 350° oven for 45 min.'s to an hour dough will be nicely browned. Remove from oven and enjoy!

I also used to can them using the canned pear directions. They make a lovely pear pie and are great to eat straight out of the jar. They were some of the first baby fruits I fed my babies (after I mashed them to a pulp) and my kids grew up loving them!

Well here it is Cathy

pearcobbler.jpg

I must say this was so easy to make and it exceeded my anticipation :)

Of course the bad news is.............................. now there's 2 people that make the best cobbler ;)

How beautiful Rick! I love it, your photos are so great they make it to where I can almost taste it! How'd you & your wife like the outcome? I like cobblers of all different varieties of fruit, but I must admit the pear is my very favorite! And you are right now there are 2 of us:p pear cobbler experts!

Oh and here's a great story...last year about this time of the year I see this tree in our neighbors front yard loaded with pears, only they are not being picked and they are beginning to fall off the tree and rot (our tree was robbed of all pears by our squirrels) and I was just dying to get my hands on some to make a cobbler! So one morning on my daily walk I got up the nerve to ask the guy if I could pick some, and I promised him some dog food for his Pit Bull. Well he said "Yes get all you want and don't worry about the dog food"! So I hurried home grabbed a bucket and commenced to pickin'! I left that bag of dog food on the hood of his Pimp Mobile and we had a lovely pear cobbler for desert that night! When my hubby found out he let me know that was one of our local dope dealers, and he couldn't believe I spoke to him and asked him for pears! LOL My hubby used to be a cop round here.

How beautiful Rick! I love it, your photos are so great they make it to where I can almost taste it! How'd you & your wife like the outcome? I like cobblers of all different varieties of fruit, but I must admit the pear is my very favorite! And you are right now there are 2 of us:p pear cobbler experts!

The best part that we liked was the crust on top. It wasn't like the cake type that I normally see. Most recipes I've used end up like a biscuit type crust. This was just right almost like a pound or sponge cake type. It complimented the fruit perfectly :)

Forgot to add, even our fussy 8 yr old girl enjoyed it :)

Ah-h-h the joys of a well cooked meal, my 9 year old girl could eat cobbler all the time!!! Well;:eek: for the record...so could I :D

I like to take canned peaches and make it as well. I buy the big can and use 1 big can and 1 small can (juice and all) and I just can't keep the stuff in the house over a day! LOL

Pears Baked in Rum Cream Sauce:
1 teaspoon cornstarch
pinch of salt
3 teaspoons brown sugar, divided
3/4 cup whole milk or 2% milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3/4 teaspoon rum extract
2 ripe but firm pears, sliced
oven 425 prepare baking dish with cooking spray

In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch, salt, 2 t brown sugar, mix with whisk, combine the milk & egg, whisking constantly, gradually add the liquid to the dry mixture (med-low-heat) for 3 min. or until mixture thickens & boils.
remove from stove add rum extract.

Place the pears in baking dish & cover with the rum-cream. Bake Min. or bubble. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 teaspoon brown-sugar. Cookie :)
Makes 4 servings

Back