What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skillet Casserole?

jpshaw

Ricks post on "Chicken Noodle Cassarole (If I misspell it please correct me) made me want to come up with a skillet chicken casserole using thickened chicken broth with yellow squash, onions and bell peppers or whatever I can find in the produce department, that I could make in the oven or even on my gas grill. I even bake potatoes on that grill. It can maintain 350 or 400 degrees fairly easy. Any suggestions would be appreciated. If you've followed any of my previous post you know I am probably looking for fairly low sodium but I can alter most recipes. I am usually looking for smaller portions like maybe in an 8" skillet since my family doesn't eat any of my low sodium recipes. Thanks guys.

gee jp - skillet casseroles are so good - and I'm not one who measures and I also tend to make too much - which can be a good thing - it can be frozen in a foil pouch or in a foil tin and then placed ont he grill to re-heat - sometimes it's nice to have a timesaver like that on hand

Is there any way you can use this recipe for creamed soup mix - with possible substitutions of low-sodium bouillon, etc.?

2 c. instant non-fat dry milk
2 tbsp. onion flakes
1 tsp. basil and thyme
1/4 c. chicken bouillon
3/4 c. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. pepper

To reconstitute for one can soup add 1/3 cup mix with 1 1/4 cup water. You can add celery or broccoli for cream of celery soup same for mushroom soup. Heat until thick as soup. Makes 3 cups or 9 cans soups. Mix thoroughly and store in cool dry place.

Mix up a "can" of that and pour over 8 oz. egg noodles (or equivalent) and add any fresh veggies you want.

????

also - can you adapt this for your own Kitchen bouquet?

1/2 C. brown sugar
2 C. water

Put brown sugar in a pan on low heat and let it burn or parch, slowly stirring all the time. When it turns a dark brown, add water, stirring well. Store in glass bottle or small jar. Adds color & Thickens gravy.

Yes Rick I have a cast iron dutch oven with lid but it would make a LOT of casserole.

Mama, was that 1/4 cup of chicken bouillon dry? My sodium free chicken bouilon only come in 2.6 oz jars or 1 tsp packets. If that is 1/4 cup liquid we may have a go since 1 tsp is used to make 1 cup broth. I was thinking of just using flour (like of Ricks post) or cornstarch to thicken 1 or 2 cups broth before adding everything else and baking it.

yes it is instant (granules) - and you can use broth/flour and thicken it - that recipe is more of a big batch - to store in the pantry and use as needed - I don't know how often you use creamed soups but they can liven up a meal as a gravy as well

That I will Mama. I should have known it was for a big batch when I saw "2 cups dried milk".

BTW if you want some inspiration for Louisiana "Cajun" cooking go to the chatter part of this forum for "Amazing Grace" in Cajun French.

I have a large Calphalon anodized pan I use for casseroles. It looks like a wok but has a 12" flat bottom. I love using it for casseroles due to the fact I can get a nice crispy bottom to what I am baking. That's the best part of a casserole to me.

I'm another one that likes crunch! I also enjoy the bottom of the pan (garlic included) when skillet frying meats.

Back