What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French fries with a twist

ricksrealpitbbq

This is something my french aunt always made for us kids and tonight my wife made it and I thought I'd share it with you.

Next time you make french fries (and I'm assuming every one knows I'm not talking about the frozen kind ) Next time slice up an onion and fry it along with the potatoes. I really adds a lot to your basic fries. you don't even need salt and pepper it's that good.

enjoy :)

Will def. give it a try next time we do french fries! Thanks for the tip. That'd be good for Jpshaw too as he could enjoy his fries and not have to worry about salting them:)

taters and onions deep fried are the best! sometimes I just sprinkle with a bit of paprika - just for "the look"

My mom used to fry potatoes from raw in a black cast iron skillet, with an onion sliced up and thrown in w/ it. She'd fry'em until brown, crusty and crunchy... This was a starch we ate regularly to accompany many dishes from pork chops to fish. She also used to make them when she simmered up a big pot of ham n' beans. Our routine was, we'd split a big slice of cornbread onto a plate or in a large bowl. Spoon some of the fried potatoes atop- then smother all in several ladles of rich, smokey navy beans and ham- then sprinkle w/ hot sauce. YUM! MMM... the good ol' days! :)

I love crispy fired taters and onions! You're right - they complimented anything - moms sure knew how to fill our tummies! And they were cheap staples in those days.

Kev that is the same way we have always fixed fried taters around here. Nothing better with a pot of pinto beans, greens and cornbread. A diced up turnip is yummy fried in with the taters and onion.

Our family had a big favorite..The big Lima Beans, Greens and Corn Bread...my oh my it sure doesn't get much better than that!

Janie I love turnip roots, I never had them fried, I will have to give that a try sometime! I like mine boiled in with greens or even better I peel, and cube them, boil then drain and add just butter, salt & pepper on top of them...delicious!!!

What you call fries, I call chips.

I always cook chips from fresh potatoes and cook them in sunflower oil. Never buy frozen. Mind you we don't eat them very often. Perhaps two or three times a year.

When I was a kid, we used to have chips fried in dripping (beef fat), they were delicious back then, the smell of the fat now turns my stomach.

I used to remembera whole crowd of us going swiming in the local council, open air, swimming pool in the early Autumn and on the way home, having a 6d bag of chips from the fish and chip shop.

A bag of piping hot chips drenched in vinegar so much so that the vinegar vapour goes up your nose and makes you cough,,,, and served in grease proof and newspaper, walking home huffing the chips to cool them because they were so hot and me being so hungry. Yum, those were there days.

Changing the subject Cook Chatty Cathy, where did you get your picture?

Very pretty.

To tell you the truth I do not remember, but I love it....reminds me of home. I love farms! And we used to own a 20 acre farm that had a barn like that, 'cept ours was brown not red:)

I'm have to try this. I've used onion sliced up with diced potatoes before that I stir fried (semi-baked) on the warming rack of my gas grill when cooking burgers or turkey cutlets before but the frying will surely cross over the onion flavor more.

This is something my french aunt always made for us kids and tonight my wife made it and I thought I'd share it with you.

Next time you make french fries (and I'm assuming every one knows I'm not talking about the frozen kind ) Next time slice up an onion and fry it along with the potatoes. I really adds a lot to your basic fries. you don't even need salt and pepper it's that good.

enjoy :)
Onions are the password to my kitchen, every Saturday morning I make an omelette and one of the main ingredients are an onion sauteed to perfection with fresh scones. I am going to try your suggestion. I just know it is going to taste superb.

Back