What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Croutons?

jpshaw

Who has a recipe for Croutons? Made from bread. I think all you need to do is cut bread into cubes, spray with a flavored pan spray or something and season with Italian seasoning or whatever and bake.

to quote in fond memory of a deer fellow: "Thud!"

the basics are very simple:
cube some sturdy white bread - Wonderbread need not apply.
dry until crisp at low (oven) temp
can be browned.

the seasoning is a critical but largely a method independent issue.

butter salt pepper flavorings
heck, even brush/toss with bottled Italian salad dressing.
spicy, mild, savory, bland, what suits your purpose and intent.

there is no "one" recipe
there is no "best crouton ever"

My reason is simply to be able to have croutons in my salad. With my low sodium restrictions of 1500 a day I'm not going to blow a good portion on some stall bread in a salad. I even make my own ketsup. Thanks for the recipe Dilbert. Could I ask how long you can store this after making it? BTW it will be made from homemade french bread that has less then 45 mg for two loafs instead of the usual 130 to 150 mg a slice for bought bread. Plus I can flavor it up however I like. Thanks again - John

>>storage -

two factors to consider:

(1) bread goes stale. as long as you can keep it air-tight & in low humidity it'll last 7-10 days - especially if browned/toasted. consider making a batch & freezing it.

(2) and 'zactly what is it coated/seasoned with...?
butter/oil/fats go rancid, they do better refrigerated but toasted bread in the fridge = rubber Rubic cubes.

for small qtys at odd times I'd dry a batch of bread cubes, freeze. take out what you want, allow to thaw, season to taste - a boon for sodium restricted diets - then toast in the oven to 'finish' the crouton for taste&texture. the thaw is important - toasting frozen cubes will likely generate little mush cubies....

Buy a nice loaf of French or Italian bread and cut it into cubes.
Spray the cubes of bread with olive oil spray and lots of garlic juice. Toss the cubes occasionally while spraying.
Sprinkle with salt.
Bake at 350 degrees until the croutons are as crisp as you like - usually for about 10 to 15 minutes, stir again and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Makes great croutons!

4 tablespoons butter
1 clove garlic, minced
3 (3/4 inch thick) slices French bread, cut into cubes

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a large saute pan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in garlic; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add bread cubes, and toss to coat. Spread on a baking sheet.
Bake for 15 minutes, or until crisp and dry. Check frequently to prevent burning. Cool.

Preheat oven to 300° F.

Mix your favorite fresh or dried herbs and spices with 1/4 cup olive oil.

Lightly brush flavored oil on both sides of bread slices.

Stack as many slices as you can cut at one time.

Cut into cubes the size of your choice.

Spread cubes in single layer on large baking sheet.

Bake until cubes are dry and crisp. Time will depend on the size and thickness of cubes, about 45 minutes.

Let cool completely.

Store in an airtight container.

Storage time depends on what you read, most sources say to use them within one week or freeze up to 6 months.

**You can use any kind of bread to make croutons. I have used Italian, French, baguette, potato, rye, wheat (of any kind), multi grain, oat bran, etc. Using several different types of bread gives different flavors to your dish. Try it - you may like it!!

>>homemade french bread

ohhhh, I missed this part.... if you are into making your own breads, try the no knead stuff. easy, once you get the hang of it essentially fail proof, and - tada - can be made with zero salt - flour, yeast, water. the recipe does call for salt, salt does add good flavor, but I've done it "no salt" (by accident, fwiw - but repeated) and frankly couldn't find a difference between the "little salt" and "no salt" versions.

'french' can be done sans salt as well -

I usually toss my cubed dry bread in some olive oil, parmesan cheese and italian seasonings like good seasons and then bake until crispy in an oven at about 300*. I love using sour dough bread. Homemade croutons are so much better than store bought. Specially on a crock of beefy onion soup with some melted swiss cheese over it.

( I bake my croutons on a cooling rack set over a sheet pan.

I usually toss my cubed dry bread in some olive oil, parmesan cheese and italian seasonings like good seasons and then bake until crispy in an oven at about 300*. I love using sour dough bread. Homemade croutons are so much better than store bought. Specially on a crock of beefy onion soup with some melted swiss cheese over it.

I will use all but the parmeson and the swiss cheese. I do wish I could find a truly low sodium cheese but so far I have not.

>>homemade french bread

ohhhh, I missed this part.... if you are into making your own breads, try the no knead stuff.

I might have to try that. I started with cornbread which is simple. Mix it up and bake it. This continous kneading and rising sucks.

speaking of low-sodium cheese - what about Alpine Lace? isn't that one lower sodium? check out the deli department in your supermarket and adk for low sodium - they may surprise you

Back