What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chi Chi style Fiesta Corn Bread

The Ironic Chef

OK, I have a big pot of chili on to combat the chill in the air and I want to make something to go along with it. Naturally corn bread is my first instinct for a side but I do not have any cornmeal on hand.
I do have a bag of Masa Harina on hand though left over from my Tamales.
I get a packaged mix of Chi Chi's Fiesta Corn Pudding mix. Has anyone made this home made? The mix requires a can of creamed corn. Most recipes I find are calling for regular corn, corn meal and even cream.

I am hoping someone here has a good recip[e. If not, I will wing it.
The chili smells out of this world

1 cup *Masa Harina

1 cup corn flour or wheat flour (all-purpose

flour can be substituted.)

2 tablespoon sugar

2 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1 slightly beaten egg

1 cup milk

1/4 cup melted butter.

Optional for Mexican Cornbread; 2 tablespoon mild Salsa without juice (strain well.)

Optional for Asian Corn Bread; 1/8 teaspoon cumin and 1/4 cup diced Paneer cheese (Indian Cheese.)

Stir together dry ingredients, add milk and egg, stir until smooth then stir in melted butter. Grease an 8-9 inch baking pan well or use a well-greased muffin pan and pour in the batter. Bake at 450 for 25-30 minutes until golden brown or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Makes one whole loaf or 12 muffins.

Mama, the recipe I needed needed corn or creamed corn in it.

My recipe is as follows

1 1/2 cups of corn blended to a rough chop
1 stick of butter
1/3 cup of masa Harina
1/4 cup of hot water
1/4 cup of flour
1/2 tsp of baking powder
1/3 cup of sugar
1 egg
1/4 tsp of salt

Creamed the butter, added the Masa Harina and hot water and combined, Mixed in the rest of the ingredients by hand.
I then put the mixture into a 9"X9" baking pan, set that pan into a large baking pan. Poured 1" of boiling water into the large pan. Covered with foil and baked in a preheated 350* oven for 1 hour. I must say that I didn't goof. I will have to get some corn meal next trip to the store though

Back