What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Baked potato question?

jpshaw

I enjoy the skin too so I like to scrub them, coat them in unsalted butter or olive oil, prick a few fork holes in the skin and bake them in the oven for the full 1 1/5 hours. I am told this is archaic and I should just Nuke them like everyone else. But then the skin is like at the restuarant as in hard and dry. Just how do you guys prepare a simple baked potato?

I don't believe in microwaves for anything. I also eat the skins and prepare them the same way. I also have a stove top potato baker - it's okay. Another way I like them is by steaming - they come out great and you can still eat the skins. For steaming I don't need any oil or salt on them.

Do it in the oven. Some things are just better left the traditional way. I'm amazed at the money people will throw away for mediocre food in a restaurant.

growing up picking potatoes, to this day I can't eat a baked potato. I will eat them prepared any other way though. The memories of the rotten potatoes, the smell and the ooze of the putrid rot just doesn't go away.

I do make baked potatoes for others though by cleaning them, pricking them with a fork to let the steam out and then brushing them with oil. The skins get nice and crispy that way and hold up well to scoop out the pulp for twice baked.

My wife complained about heating up the house in the summer so I started baking them in my gas grill. Light only 1 burner, place the potatoes on the warming rack over the opposite burner and I can adjust to hit 400 degrees fairly easy. Yep, you gotta keep the lid closed. I use my grill all year long and quite often. I replace the propane tank about once a month.

BTW if you eat the skin, just cover them in foil after coating them in oil or butter and the skin will be tender. I've been known to use the same piece of foil for up to 1/2 dozon bakings.

Last edited:
I actually cook my washed potatoes in the microwave and make grilled potato skins I cut the potatoes in half scoop the inside out crush and add butter then place the buttered potato in the skin topped with cheese and bacon bits

You can actually cook them in the Crockpot. Just scrub and dry them, stack as many as the thing will hold and give 3 - 4 hours on high. If you have to hold them over just drop it to low and the pot is very forgiving of exact time.

I clean them first, then add 1 Tbl. olive oil in water then boil them. If it takes to long I micro-wave, the last few min. Cookie :)

I was taught to cook the old fashioned way which to me is a much longer process and I have found a microwave to be my right hand I can cook a 6 course meal from scratch in less than 45 minutes

I think it is better when the skin is left on but that is just me :)

Not just you. I always leave the skin on since I like that part too. If you ever see an empty potato skin on my plate it meant that it was too tough to eat. When I cook them my way they are very moist and tender.

I love the skins ... I scrub good then wrap in tin foil and throw them in my fireplace under the hot ash and forget them for an hour ... then slap some butter on top and YUMMMY ~ LOL

Back