What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taco recipe?

jpshaw

The family had tacos last night (I had grilled chicken breast) made from McCormicks Taco Mix (really salty) but it really smelled good. I know the package has the ingredients on it but not the amounts of each. Do any of you have a taco recipe that I could possible convert to low sodium? If so please post it.

I know they use a mix for their spaghetti sauce while I do mine from scratch so I don't see why I couldn't do the same thing with taco seasoning. Thanks guys. -John-

I don't use a recipe - I add seasoning mix to 1 lb. ground meat (beef, turkey or chicken) with 1/2 cup water - and I assemble in my tortillas with cheese, salsa, onions, lettuce, tomatoes

6 teaspoons chili powder
5 teaspoons paprika
4½ teaspoon ground cumin
3 teaspoon onion powder
2½ teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

In storage container with tight-fitting lid, combine all ingredients; mix well. Seal tightly. Store in cool, dry place for up to 6 months. Makes about 1/2 cup

2 teaspoons instant minced onion
1 teaspoon chili powder (salt free.. see recipe)
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon crushed dried red pepper
1/2 teaspoon instant minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon dry oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

Mix all ingredients together. Recipe equals on packet of purchased taco seasoning.

1 T. chili powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. black pepper

Mix together and store in airtight container.

TACO BELL

MIXTURE 1:
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cilantro leaves, whole
1 teaspoon instant tea powder
1/2 teaspoon dry minced parsley
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon onion salt
1/4 teaspoon onion salt

MIXTURE 2:
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon seasoned salt

Combine Mixture 1 ingredients and sift together 3 times. Funnel into bottle with tight fitting cap. Keep out of direct sunlight and use within 6 months, or refrigerate to use in one year. Makes 3 T of seasoning.

For taco seasoning: use 2 T of Mixture 2 ingredients *mixed together* added to the 3 T of above seasoning Mixture 1 for 1-1 1/2 pounds ground beef.

JP like Mama I make my own seasonings, the real secret is using Cumin, it has that authentic flavor that we all love in our Mexican Foods. Of course all of these Mama Posted are beautiful and all you would have to do is leave the salt out:) I wish you luck, and I know you'll enjoy these recipes with beef, chicken or even ground turkey if need be.

I have no problem leaving the salt out. I just use a sub in the same amount. Garlic or onion salt have to be changed to powder and then a sub added to keep the taste. Thanks all - John -

BTW - I think I'm going with the 3rd one down on Mama's list. I like the extra chili powder and the cumin plus the fact that powder was called for instead of onion and garlic salt.

Last edited:
Back