What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No-Bake Pumpkin Ice-Box Pie

chubbyalaskagriz

Oven-space in my modest condo kitchen will be an issue later this month for a pre-Thanksgiving meal I’m doing for a group of buds, so to work around that I’m making a few of the “Pumpkin Icebox Pies” from Martha’s November “Everyday Food”- page # 129. This recipe doesn’t rely on custard for its silky texture- rather gelatin and cream cheese… and they prepare it in a SQUARE 9” metal pan, and this recipe looks a bit richer than other no-bake pumpkin pie recipes I’ve seen, and since it doesn’t appear available online yet- I’ll share it here.

“Pumpkin Icebox Pie”

Crust:

16 cinnamon graham crackers, broken

1 T. brown sugar

½ t. salt

½ c. (1 stick) butter, melted and cooled

Filling:

3 t. unflavored powdered gelatin (2 packets)

One 29 oz. can pure pumpkin puree

4 oz. cream cheese- at room temp

One 12 oz. can evaporated milk

1 c. brown sugar

1 t. cinnamon

¼ t. nutmeg

¾ t. salt

1 c. heavy cream

1 T. powdered sugar

1.) Press-in Crust: Pre-heat oven to 325. In food processor combine graham crackers, sugar and salt; process until fine crumbs. With machine running, funnel-in melted butter until resembles wet sand. Press mixture onto bottom and halfway up sides of a 9” square pan. Bake 20 minutes until golden, firm and aromatic. Cool on wire rack.

2.) Make Filling: Place ¼ c. cold water into small bowl. Sprinkle gelatin atop and let stand 5 minutes. In large bowl whisk together pumpkin puree and cream cheese until smooth. In small saucepan combine evaporated milk, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; bring to simmer over medium heat. Add gelatin mixture and stir until dissolved well. Pour milk mixture into pumpkin mixture and whisk until entirely smooth.

3.) Pour Filling into cooled crust and chill 3 hours or tightly-wrapped up to 2 days in advance.

4.)
To serve prepare stiffly whipped cream using heavy cream and powdered sugar. Spread atop pie and cut into squares or serve w/ a spoon.

Back