What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LOOKING FOR: watermelon and feta salad

T

Twinmama

Over the Fourth of July weekend, we went to a cookout where someone made a fantastic chilled salad made of watermelon cubes and feta cheese. It was amazing! I know there was more to the recipe than just watermelon and feta, but I haven't yet found the recipe.

Wondering if anyone has seen it and can direct me to it? Thanks!

I got six hits on Epicurious; here is the one that looks the closest:

3 cups 2-inch chunks watermelon, seeded
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
Coarsely ground black pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes (optional)

In a large bowl, combine the watermelon, feta, and a few generous grindings of black pepper. For a little more zing, add the red pepper flakes, if you like.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.

That does sound tasty and so refreshing for summer. I should try it next time we have a cookout!

Watermelon & Feta Salad

* Per serving:
* 3/4 - 1 cup of cold watermelon, cubed
* 1/4 cup of feta cheese, crumbled or cubed
* 1/4 medium red onion, cut in paper-thin slices
* 1/4 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar

Place the watermelon in a bowl, top with most of the onions, then the feta cheese. Place remaining onions on top. Sprinkle with balsamic vinegar, and serve.

This recipe can be made in individual servings or multiplied and served in a large salad bowl.

¼ seedless watermelon, diced (about 4 cups)
1 cup salty feta cheese, broken into teaspoon-sized lumps
¼ cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
excellent quality extra virgin olive oil ? to drizzle on top
salt and pepper to taste

1. Toss watermelon, feta and half of parsley on a platter or in a wide fairly flat serving bowl. Top with remaining parsley, oil and salt and pepper. Serve on watermelon ?plates? or eat with your fingers, right from the serving dish.

You can make this salad with oil and vinegar, you can use basil, you can add olives - whatever you want!

Oh, both those recipes are making my mouth water. Thanks, y'all! I really appreciate the help.

Back