What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beef Recipes

Mama Mangia

Super Moderator
Steak with Blue Cheese Sauce

2 - 8 ounce steaks
2 strips bacon -- sliced 1/4" strips
1/4 cup red onion -- finely chopped
1 tablespoon brandy
2 ounces blue cheese -- crumbled
1/3 cup cream
salt -- to taste
pepper -- to taste

Cook steaks as you usually do. While steaks are cooking, fry bacon strips until crisp. Keep bacon grease in pan, but remove fried strips to a paper towel. Add red onion and briefly sauté. Carefully add brandy. Add blue cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. Add cream. Stir until fully blended. Simmer until reduced by 1/3 or until desired thickness is obtained. Add fried bacon strips, and season with salt and pepper. Pour over cooked steaks.

Italian Pot Roast

1 4- to 6-pound chuck roast
Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, chopped finely
1 carrot, chopped finely
1 celery rib, chopped finely
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large shallot, minced
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
1 can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed by hand or chopped, juices reserved
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2-1/2 cups red wine (inexpensive but hearty)
1 cup beef broth
2 to 3 baking potatoes, peeled, cubed into large chunks
1 bag carrots, peeled, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
1 bag frozen pearl onions

Heat oven to 300 degrees. Pat the roast dry and season well with salt and
pepper. Dust with flour on all sides. In a Dutch oven over high setting,
heat oil and brown roast on all sides. Remove to a platter.

Add onions, carrot, and celery to pot (use additional oil if necessary), and
sauté 3 minutes. Add garlic, shallot, bay leaves, thyme, and rosemary, and
sauté 2 minutes more. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add tomatoes,
tomatoes' juices, and paste, and cook 1 minute. Add wine and beef broth.
Bring to a boil, and then reduce to simmer 4 to 5 minutes.

Adjust seasonings. Place meat and accumulated juices back in pot and cover.
Roast in oven about 1 hour; then turn meat and add potatoes and carrots.
Roast about 1 hour longer; then add pearl onions and return to oven for
final 1/2 hour.

Serve roast with a simple green salad. Discard bay leaves

Just Another Swiss Steak

2 pounds (1 kg) round, flank, or sirloin steak (any less than premium cut will do, as long as it's
about 1 to 2 inches (2.5 to 5 cm) thick)
1 small can tomatoes
3 Tbs (45 ml) olive oil
2 medium onions, finely chopped
1 (250 ml) cup water
1/2 cup (125 ml) flour
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Coat the steak with as much flour as will adhere. Heat the olive oil in a
large skillet over high heat and brown the steak on both sides.

Place the steak in a large ovenproof baking pan with a lid. (Some cooks
prefer to wrap the steak and remaining ingredients in aluminum foil.)

Add the cup of water to the skillet you browned the steak in and dissolve
all the brown bits in the skillet. Add this liquid to the baking dish with
the steak, along with the other ingredients. Cover and cook on top of the
stove over low heat for 2 hours.

Or bake in a 325F (160C) oven for 2 hours.

Serves 4 to 6.

Texas Pepper Steak BBQ

Cut 1 pound lean chuck or round beef into thin slices, 2 inches long.
Place beef strips on a large double square of heavy duty Reynolds Wrap.
Add:

1 clove garlic, chopped
2 onions, chopped
2 green peppers & 2 red peppers, cut into 1/2 inch strips
1 tsp. A-1 sauce
2 tbsp Cajun powder(optional)
2 tbsp. salad oil
1 can (10 3/4 oz.) beef gravy
1 (6 oz.) can mushrooms

Mix all ingredients. Seal foil tightly with double fold. Place packet
on grill 4 inches above grey coals or on gas grill, cook for 1 hour,
turning frequently.

SESAME BEEF

1 pound beef boneless sirloin steak
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped green onions (3 medium)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon sesame seed
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups hot cooked vermicelli

Partially freeze the beef, about 1 1/2 hours. Cut beef diagonally
across grain into 1/8-inch slices.

Mix sugar, soy sauce, pepper, green onions and garlic in glass or
plastic bowl. Stir in beef until well coated. Cover and refrigerate
30 minutes. Drain beef mixture.

Heat sesame seed in 10-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring
frequently, until golden brown. Remove sesame seed from skillet.

Heat oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Cook beef mixture in
oil, stirring occasionally, until brown.

Serve over vermicelli, sprinkled with sesame seed.

Yield: 4 servings

SAVORY BRISKET

2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 cup black coffee
1 (3 pound) brisket
1/2 cup catsup
1/2 cup chili sauce
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 large clove garlic, minced

In a large Dutch oven, brown meat on all sides. Combine remaining
ingredients; pour over brisket. Cover and simmer on stove top or in a
325 degree F oven for 3 to 4 hours, or until tender.

To serve, slice on the diagonal.

Makes 4 servings.

SAUCY BEEF STROGANOFF

1 pound sirloin steak
3 tablespoons cooking oil
1 can (4 oz.) whole mushrooms
1 1/2 to 2 cups beef broth
1 cup dairy sour cream
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
1/4 cup diced onions
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
Hot cooked fine egg noodles

Cut steak into pieces. In skillet with oil, brown mushrooms (I leave whole, may use sliced mushrooms if perferred), onions, and steak. Add beef broth, garlic, salt, and Worchestershire sauce to skillet, bringing to a boil. Turn heat down so mixture simmers. In a seperate bowl, combine sour cream and flour, making a paste. Add into mixture. Add noodles. Stir into mixture ketchup. Cook slowly until heated through.

Stroganoff question; How long will Stroganoff made with sour cream last in the frig plus can it be frozen? Great recipe.

BTW I musta got bumped. Had to re-register since the little sign was saying I was a quest.

re: bumping it happens from time to time and you hve to sign in again - it's happened o me plenty of times

stroganoff - I would chill overight in the fridge (keep no more than 2 days because of the sour cream) and then portion and freeze. It won't last forever in the freezer, but for a week or two it should be fine. I freeze just about everything.

re: bumping it happens from time to time and you hve to sign in again - it's happened o me plenty of times

stroganoff - I would chill overight in the fridge (keep no more than 2 days because of the sour cream) and then portion and freeze. It won't last forever in the freezer, but for a week or two it should be fine. I freeze just about everything.

Dang. Bumped again. I musta been bad today.
Overnight would be fine or 1 week froze. Most of my recipes have leftovers since when I modify a recipe for low sodium the rest of my family won't touch it.

Cowboy Steak
Take a bottom round steak and place it between some plastic wrap and beat the heck out of it to pound it thin,

Dredge for steaks
1 1/2 cups of flour
1 pack of Lipton's Beefy onion Soup mix, ( Mushroom Soup mix is great too)
fresh ground black pepper to taste

Mix dredging ingredients together And dredge each steak pressing the steaks into the flour mixture.

Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat with 2 tbls of butter in it. When the butter stops bubbeling add 2 steaks and fry until each side is golden brown. When you see the juices coming to the uncooked surface you know it's time to flip.
Repeat until all the steaks are cooked.

After the steaks are finished, add 1 sliced onion to the skillet and a little liquid of your choice. Water, wine, worchestshire sauce. Scrape to get up all the carmalization. Just soften the onions a bit. Reduce the heat and whisk in even some more butter, about 2 tbls to make a sauce.

To serve just place a few tbls of onions and sauce over each steak.

I also make a gravy with any leftover dredge material and let the steaks simmer in the gravy for at least 30 minutes. Cube steak style. This is the way I actually prefer to have them.

For a gravy just add the dredge to the onions ind slowly pour in water to make your gravy. About 1 cup of water for every 2 tbls of dredge.

Enjoy, IC

Last edited:
Hi Mama, your beef recipes sound good. I wondered if you had a recipe for pepper steak, you posted one for BBQ pepper steak. I Love pepper steak my Mom used to make when I was growing up it was really good it had green peppers and I think rice in it and tomatoes?? not sure, Cookie :)

IC's Pepper Steak

I usually use 1 London Broil Steak, They come in about the right thickness and 1 sliced up into 1/4" slices is enough for serving 5 people.

Ingredients
1 thinly sliced London Broil Steak
2 green Bell pepper, cored, seeded and sliced into wedges length wise
1 large onion peeled and cut into wedges
2 medium onions cut into wedges
2 cloves of garlic smashed
1 tsp of fresh chopped ginger
1/2 cup of water
2 tbls of soy sauce
1 tsp of vinegar
1 tsp of cornstarch
A pinch of red pepper flakes
2 scallions sliced thinly
Salt and pepper to taste

Marinade
2 tbls of soy sauce
1 tbls of cornstarch
A dash garlic, ginger powder and fresh ground black pepper
1/2 cup of a nice white wine

Directions

Place the thinly sliced beef into a quart sized zipper bag and pour in the marinade. Zip it up and work the marinade around the beef.
Let marinade sit for several hours. Shake the bag every once in awhile to keep everything mixed up.

About a half hour before cooking remove the beef to a strainer and drain off the marinade. I like to place the beef onto paper towels and sop off any moisture too.

Heat over medium high about 1" of Canola oil in a cast iron skillet. When the oil just starts to let of wisp of smoke add about 1/4 of the beef slices carefully and fry for about 1 minute stirring to keep the pieces from sticking together. Remove from oil and repeat.

When finished with the beef slices, do the peppers and onions a handful at a time. You don't want to cook them through. Maybe for about 30 seconds, each handful. I like them crispy, not soggy.

Place the vegetables on a paper towel to drain too.

In a wok, heat about a tbls of canola oil over medium high heat, add the garlic, red pepper flakes and ginger. As soon as you can smell garlic wafting through the air throw in the tomatoes. stir gently for about a minute just to get a tiny bit of carmalization. Pull what's in the wok up the sides of the wok off the bottom. Mix together the water, soy sauce, Vinegar and cornstarch and slowly stir it into the bottom of the wok to make a sauce. If you'd like a little sweetness add about 1/2 tsp of sugar to the sauce. Take your beef slices, peppers and onions and add them to the wok and combine all the ingredients.

Remove the wok from the heat and add the sliced scallion. Serve right away over rice.

Enjoy, IC

Last edited:
IC's General Tsao's Beef

This a a spicy Chinese style beef dish. If you want to spice it up some more, Add more heat.

Again, I like to use London Broil. It is just the right thickness

Ingredients

1 steak cut into 1" cubes

Marinade
2 tbls of soy sauce
1 tbls of cornstarch ( Cornstarch helps tenderize the beef)
Dash of garlic and ginger powders
1 tsp of sugar
salt and pepper
1/2 cup of good white wine

Dredge
1 cup of flour and a 1/2 cup of cornstarch, 1/8 cup of sesame seeds optional
1 tsp of salt, a few good grinds of black pepper
A dash of garlic powder and ginger powder

Wet dip
2 beaten eggs
1/4 cups of water
1 tbls of soy sauce

Sauce
1 carrot slice at a diagonal or bias. 1/4" slices
1 1/2 cups of broccoli
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp of fresh ground ginger
3/4 tsp of red pepper flakes
2 hot Italian tiny hot peppers left whole
1 tbls of tomato paste
2 tbls of soy sauce
1 tbls of vinegar
1 tsp of sesame oil
1/4 cup of honey
1/2 cup of water or beef stock
1 tsp of cornstarch
Fresh sliced scallions

Directions
Marinate the beef cubes in a zipper bag for several hours shaking the marinade around the beef once in awhile
About a 1/2 hour before cooking strain and dry off beef cubes really well.

Mix the dry materials for dredge in 1 bowl and the wet dipping ingredients into another.

Take several beef cubes at a time and coat in the flour mixture and set onto a plate and repeat with the rest. Then dip each piece into the wet mix and then back into the dry. Eventually the dry starts getting crumbly from the moisture being mixed in. That's what you want to finish coating your beef cubes. So continue going from wet to dry until that crumbly coating is on each beef cube. Set the finished coated cubes onto a wire cooling rack.

In a cast iron skillet, heat 1 1/2" of canola oil (or peanut oil if you can afford it) over medium high heat. When you see little wisp of smoke starting to come off the oil, place about 1/2 of the coated beef cubes into the oil, gently turn them and stir them so as they don't stick together. Fry to a fried chicken golden brown, remove to a paper towel to drain and repeat. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper if you'd like.

After the beef cubes have been fried add the carrots and fry for about 1 minute. Remove to a paper towel to drain. Repeat with the broccoli.
Heat a wok over medium high heat and add 2 tbls of canola oil. Add the garlic, ginger, pepper flakes and stir until you can smell the garlic, add the tomato paste and red peppers. Combine the liquids for the sauce with the cornstarch and stir into the wok to make the sauce.

Add the Beef, carrots, broccoli and scallions and stir the ingredients together to coat with the sauce. Serve right away over rice. (remove the whole peppers first)

Enjoy, IC

Pepper Steak

3 cups hot cooked rice
1 lb. lean beef round steak, cut 1/2 inch thick
1 tbsp. paprika
2 tbsp. butter or margarine
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1-1/2 cups beef broth
1 cup sliced green onions
2 green peppers, cut in strips
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 large tomatoes, cut in eighths

Pound steak to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into 1/4 inch wide strips. Sprinkle meat with paprika.

Using a large skillet, brown meat in butter. Add garlic and broth, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

Stir in onions and green peppers. Cover and cook 5 minutes longer.

Blend cornstarch, water and soy sauce then stir into meat mixture. Cook, stirring, until clear and thickened. Add tomatoes and stir gently. Serve over hot, fluffy rice. Serves 6.

Pepper Steak with Scalloped Potatoes

2 medium brown onions, sliced thinly
2 cloves garlic, crushed
5 medium potatoes, sliced thinly
½ cup light sour cream
½ cup chicken stock
1 cup coarsely grated low-fat cheddar cheese
6 beef fillet steaks
2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
1 clove garlic, crushed, extra
1 tablespoon cornflour
1 cup beef stock

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Heat large lightly oiled nonstick frying pan. Cook onion and garlic, stirring, until onion softens.

Layer onion mixture and potato in shallow baking dish, finishing with potato layer. Pour combined sour cream and stock over potato mixture; sprinkle with cheese.

Bake potato mixture, covered, in moderate oven 45 minutes. Uncover; bake about 10 minutes or until scalloped potatoes are tender and browned lightly on top.

Meanwhile, coat beef all over with pepper; cook, in batches, in large heated lightly oiled non-stick frying pan until browned both sides and cooked as desired. Cover beef to keep warm.

Add extra garlic to same pan; cook, stirring, until fragrant.

Blend cornflour with stock in small bowl; add to pan. Stir over heat until sauce mixture boils and thickens slightly.

Drizzle steaks with sauce; serve with scalloped potatoes.

Thanks Mama & IC for the pepper steak recipes, they both sound really Good!! I will try them thanks again. Cookie :)

here's some "cuts" one may find labeled as "London Broil"

London Broil - BEEF BOTTOM ROUND
London Broil - BEEF FLANK
London Broil - BEEF PLATE SKIRT
London Grill Steak - BEEF PLATE SKIRT
London Broil - BEEF SHOULDER
Shoulder London Broil - BEEF SHOULDER
Top Round London Broil - BEEF TOP ROUND
London Broil - BEEF TOP ROUND

Mama Mangia, that is the easiest Sesame beef recipe I have ever seen. I will have to try it.

I also liked the Beef Stroganoff recipe. I have a Hamburger Stroganoff recipe that everyone tells me is great and so good you could use it with sirloin.

Later today I will post it here. I do not have it typed up, it is in my head. So give me some time to type it and then I will share with you all.

Hamburger Stroganoff

As promised I am posting my Hamburger Stroganoff recipe.

Hamburger Stroganoff
A Single Chef© Recipe
Roberta Hunter

2/3 to 3/4 pounds ground chuck
2-3 tablespoons butter
4-6 medium mushrooms
¼ cup chopped onions
1 small garlic clove minced
S&P to taste
¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 – 2/3 cup beef broth (canned or from granules)
6 tablespoons sour cream
Cooked noodles

Brown ground chuck in one tablespoon of the butter

Add another tablespoon of butter along with the onion and garlic

Sauté until onion and garlic is softened

Add the salt and pepper

Add the mushrooms and cook until just beginning to soften

Add Worcestershire sauce and mix well

Stir in the flour

Then add about ¼ - ½ cup of the broth and mix well*

When mixture begins to thicken add the sour cream (do not stir, allow sour cream to melt over low heat, then mix together)

Serve over the noodles with a salad and some sautéed zucchini with onions and Parmesan cheese

* You may need more or less of the broth depending on how thick or thin you want your sauce

Back