What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Knead Bread Dough

The Ironic Chef

YouTube - Muppet Show - Swedish Chef - Bread Dough

This bread is absolutely amazing and the actual work required to make the dough is about 5 minutes of labor. The finished product has an excellent crispy light crust and the crumb is super airy with great air pockets. Most bakeries can't produce such excellent bread.

No Knead Bread
3 cups of flour, bread or all purpose
1 ½ tsp of salt
¼ tsp of instant yeast
1 ½ cups of spring water

Directions

Mix the dry ingredients.

Add the wet ingredients and stir to combine.

Cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 18 hours.
Lightly flour a work surface and scrape dough from bowl onto the floured surface. Flour hands and then gently shape dough into a rectangle shape flattening. Then fold dough one way into thirds, then the other way 3 times. Almost rolling.

Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest for 15 minutes.
Either flour a towel or a rising bowl with either flour, cornmeal or wheat bran for the final rise.
Flour hands again and gently pick up the dough and gently shape into a round When the dough is picked up invert it so that the seam side is down. Place the dough onto the floured towel or into the bowl seam side down and then cover with a towel. Allow for final rise of 1 ½ to 2 hours.

During this time preheat the oven and a cast iron Dutch oven with a lid to 500 degrees. The first stage of baking in the covered Dutch Oven lets the baking bread steam itself.

Invert the dough gently into the pre heated Dutch oven pan and cover. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the lid, lower the heat to 450* and bake an additional 15 minutes.
After removing the bread from the oven, remove from pan. Allow the bread to cool for a bit on a wire rack before cutting.

Enjoy, IC

Last edited by a moderator:
I really enjoy it too Rick. I remember your provolone bread that you posted awhile back.

I just posted this here since I had it on my blog. This method is a bit easier than the stretch and fold method and has a better crumb.

I tried a quicker version of this bread today. Hope you see this trick Rick.

Still using the 1/4 tsp of yeast, change the water to very warm water. Almost hot. Also add 1 tsp of vinegar. I was leary of the addition of the vinegar because I always thought it killed yeast. Not the case here. The fermentation time is cut down to 6 hours so the proccess can be started in the morning and bread for dinner. My honest opinion, the crust was even better.

it doesn't matter - I've been baking bread for more than 50 years - it depends on theflour, the hunmidity, the temperature, etc. - I always judge by look and feel

I LOVE the no knead!!!

I adapted this recipe to my own liking and it is awesome!!!
I have been trying to make "good" bread for a long time.
(good being subjective)
To me good is: the crust: crackly crunchy chewy. the crumb: nice holes and sort of stretchy/chewy. Ahhhhhh.

I have been trying so long and hard to achieve this that I literally broke a stand mixer. I kept going harder and longer in kneading. psssttt.
Spray with water, ice in the oven, many complicated steps techniques to achieve mediocre results. And I researched, believe me.
Let me put it in perspective; yes you can cook well, great even, but to come full circle, bread closes the loop to a good meal.

So

I have found that when making bread it is cyclic & time is your friend; like making sourdough. So letting the preferment go for 12 - 24 hours, no big deal.
The fermentation does most of the work. Thats awesome and its what some would call "green".

Those industrious little yeasts.

Anyway what I was trying to achieve was less work, better result. My end result was a universal technique & easy (in my head) measurements.

That's right do what Mama says - learn look and feel!

I adjust with flour in the end any how.
I mean my whole time commitment is about 5 - 10 min total per loaf.
(2+2=cups flour/water)
What I do is 2 + 2 and a pinch of yeastys or for the sourdough 1 cup starter and 2 + 2. mix with a butter knife. Let set. 6 - 12 - 24 hrs, whatever you have up until 24.
When ready to make, fold in tsp yeast & 1/4 cup warm water, 2 more or less cups flour that have been mixed with a tsp salt. let rise 1 hr. punch/fold. let rise1 - 2 more hrs. fold and shape. let set 30 min.
Put in cold oven set at 400 for 1 hr total time. let cool.
I love easy. love it. so does everyone else. evens beats some of the bakeries around, go figgure.
AND it is great za dough.

Back