What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dry Milk Powder

I would just skip over the powdered milk ingredient. Seems many older recipes called for the use of it. If the recipe calls for the use of water, replace the water with milk.

For yeast breads, milk that has been scalded has an enzyme that actually helps with rising. If sugar isn't used in the dough, brushing the shaped loaf with milk will help the loaf brown. Besides those 2 points, I don't really know what the need for any milk product in a bread would do.

Traveler, can you post, copy and paste the recipe here? Seeing exactly what type of seed bread it is and the other ingredients would be a big help before drawing any conclusions.

fluid milk or water can be substituted in many recipes -but like IC said - it's easier if we can see the recipe

I guess the use of milk in a yeast dough has many differences of opinions.
To my understanding, the whey in milk decreases the rise in a bread dough. Powdered milk actually has more whey then whole milk. It is commonly used to make cheeses due to that fact. Scalding milk and even even adding powdered milk to a fluid in a bread dough recipe and heating it up to 180* for a few minutes has been reccomended.
Recently Americas Test Kitchen did a show on the science behind this madness. I thought I could get the video on this but may have to don a bit more searching to do so.

In my honest opinion, powdered milk was put into recipes in the past because of not having regular whole milk as easily on hand as today.

Ingredients
1 1/8 cups water
1 1/2 tablespoons oil
3 cups whole wheat flour
3 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
3 tablespoons sunflower seeds
3 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 1/2 tablespoons flax seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons active dry yeast
Instructions
1.Place all ingredients in your bread machine's full assembled pan in the order specified by your machine's manufacturer.

2.Select the wheat/grain/basic or white cycle and press start.

It does seem by the recipe that the powdered milk was used instead of milk as a liquid. The amount of powder would probably equal 1 1/8 cups of milk or low fat milk.. Zap the milk in the microwave for about 2 minutes and then let it cool for about 5 minutes.
Odd thing about your recipe is the use of 3 cups of whole wheat flour. I usually only use 1 cup of whole wheat to 2 cups of unbleach all purpose flour when I make whole wheat bread. The same goes for rye flour or Semolina. Even when making corn bread I use a cornmeal and flour combination.
If there isn't a salt issue I would also increase that to at least 1 1/2 tsp.
With the straight whole wheat and the 3 different seeds, this bread should be a real colin cleaner, lol. A lot of fiber going on there.

In the next few days, I will make both the original recipe (without powdered milk), and a loaf with only one cup of wheat flour and post the results. Thanks for some very good and apparently learned advice. Ya'll probably have more knowlege than I'll ever aquire

If you are making the 3 seed bread for health reasons, Traveler, instead of using all purpose flour, see if you can get some wheat gluten. Add 2 tablespoons full to the 3 cups of wheat flour. You can buy jars of wheat gluten in the baking section of most grocerey stores. If not there try the health food section.
The wheat Flour isn't processed enough to give you the protien needed to build gluten. Even when adding your own protien, either through using all purpose flour or wheat gluten you still have to knead it twice as long as when just making a white bread dough.
Most whole wheat loaves come out very dense and low rising due to the lack of kneading. If your using a bread machine, double the kneading time if you can.

It is not necessary to use milk, just bear in mind though, when you use milk the outside of the bread is darker. I made bread this morning and did not use any milk, and it came out just fine.

I'm Happy to be Here

Hello to all, I look forward to making friends on here I will be very active on here and look forward to making friends Maybe some of you will want to learn some of the secrets I've learned over the years And hopefully I can learn from you as well

ufc-112-live-stream com]UFC 112 Live Stream

Hello to all, I look forward to making friends on here I will be very active on here and look forward to making friends Maybe some of you will want to learn some of the secrets I've learned over the years And hopefully I can learn from you as well

ufc-112-live-stream com]UFC 112 Live Stream
Yes I will like to know some of your secrets, and I will gladly share mine.

Back