What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iced coffee

T

Twinmama

Some friends and I were recently talking about making iced coffee at home, and several of us were complaining that whenever we make it, it turns out on the bitter side. But one friend said she sometimes makes icecubes out of her coffee and uses that in her iced coffee, and that works really well.

What other tricks are there for making coffeehouse bevvies without having to actually go to a coffeehouse?

I was going to also suggest using coffee ice cubes, it will keep the drink from getting to watered down while your drinking it.

Tips from a http://www.volcanicacoffee.com/coffee-articles/iced-coffee-recipe.htm

To make a great tasting glass of iced coffee you need to take the same care as you would with hot coffee. Don't try to use leftover coffee for iced coffee but brew it as a delicious drink on its own.

There are two easy methods of preparing iced coffee

Iced Coffee over Ice Cubes
Brew extra strength coffee using 1 tablespoon to 4 oz. of water
Pour over ice cubes
Add sugar or cream if desired
Note: The extra strength coffee is important so that when the iced melts it does not dilute the coffee.

Iced Coffee with Ice Coffee Cubes
Brew regular strength coffee and freeze it in ice cube trays
Fill glasses with the coffee cubes and pour regular strength coffee over them
Add sugar or cream if desired

I like coffee hot and cold. When I have it cold, I make it with cream and sugar just like normal. Then once all stirred up, I just pour it REALLY FAST into a very large glass packed with ice. if you pour it slowly, the ice melts more and waters it down more. I do this some mornings when I need a super pick-me up. When it is ice cold, I can "slam" it down really fast. Drink 2-3 cups of coffee in just a few minutes....something you cant do with hot coffee. About 15-20 mins later...BOOOOOM...super energy. :)

Thanks for this. I have tried to make Iced coffee as well, but mines came out watered down. I'll have to give this a try one day. Thank you

Great ideas! I usually make it extra strong and then pour it over ice, but it usually ends up bitter. Never thought of making it into ice cubes. I'll have to try that!

:D

girl4cooking said:
Great ideas! I usually make it extra strong and then pour it over ice, but it usually ends up bitter. Never thought of making it into ice cubes. I'll have to try that!

:D

This brings back memories of my making iced tea as a kid. I used to freeze homemade iced tea into iced-tea-cubes. They are just as good as a popsicle and cost nothing to make. Just make homemade iced tea from scratch with tea bags, add sugar when hot, let cool, pour into an ice tray and freeze for a couple hours. These are great on hot days, and you don't really need to let them freeze all of the way. The cold tea inside the cube is cool too!

I used to make Koolaid popsicles as a kid...never iced tea ones.....Ill have to try that.

Never have had iced coffee, and it seems so different since coffee is always served hot. Coffee does seem to bitter when sitting around. So how do you cool it or is that what this conversation is about? Sorry if I sound strange, I'm new here.

I am not much of a coffee drinker but do enjoy a cold chai spiced tea once in awhile.

I also used to make the ice cubes from Koolaid when I was a kid. It was great since Koolaid came in lots of different flavors.

I wish I liked coffee. It's such a social thing, much more than just a drink. But I've never been able to stand the taste. Too bad, because it seems that iced coffee would be very refreshing these days.

I do like tea though, and I recently tried chai and liked it. Maybe I should try that iced chai one of these days.

How can you not like coffee? I put a couple sugars and a fair amount of cream in mine, and it tastes great, especially when it has a caramel shot in it. But I know what you mean, because I don't like beer, I can't stand the taste, and it's such a social thing... so yeah, I know the feeling. On the other hand, I get paid to be the designated driver. Cha-Ching!

Once at a little cafe' I had something called Eskimo Coffee. It's not iced coffee, but it was hot coffee with a nice sized scoop of vanilla ice cream in it. That's it, that's all. And yet, it tasted really good. I think I was intrigued by the name, too, but ultimately it was yummy.

Coffee with a scoop of ice cream in it. That sounds yummy! I will have to see if they serve that anywhere here. Or just try it myself at home.

Man, I used to do that all the time when I was working at Dairy Queen as a teenager. I used to take some black coffee and just add soft serve into it. It automatically adds cream and sugar...and also cools it off just enough to drink it too.

Coffee with a scoop of ice cream in it. That sounds yummy! I will have to see if they serve that anywhere here. Or just try it myself at home.

For sure, Peach. It would be very easy just to pop a scoop of vanilla into your mug of coffee. I think it would taste great in some of the flavoured coffees too. It's been years since I had this and only thought about it the other day. Time to re-visit it. :)

I've read about the ice cubes trick with coffee before (you can do the same for iced tea and punch drinks too). It's a great way to prevent flavor dilution.

Thankyou for the suggestions of making iced coffee and using coffee ice cubes I can't wait to give this a try.

Back