What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cream of Tomato soup

jpshaw

Most all cream soups are a no-no for a low sodium diet. This one was copied and changed several times mostly to get rid of the dry milk powder that was creating most of the sodium count. First you have to make a "No-Salt seasoning. 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder plus 1 1/4 tsps of the following. Onion powder, thyme, paprika, celery seed, white pepper, dry mustard, dried lemon peel and 1 tsp black pepper. Mix and store in a dry container.

Cream of Tomato Soup -
1 tsp sodium free beef bouillon
1 can No Salt Added (NSA) diced tomatoes
1 1/2 Tbs of uncooked long grain rice (to thicken)
1 tsp No-Salt seasoning (recipe above)
1/4 tsp white pepper
1 cup water

Bing to a boil in a 3 Qt saucepan, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Pour into blender and puree. Store in the frig using a a microwave safe bowl to serve yourself about 3 servings. This is a little hot in case you want to lower the pepper content some.

After preparing this dish many times I have dropped the white pepper from the list of ingredients since it has quite enough black pepper in the seasoning. I usually add about two plum (Roma) tomatoes to the canned diced ones to add some and dilute the spices just a touch.

BTW since this writting I have found some bought No-Salt Seasoning that works good too. It's called simply NO SALT Seasoning and It's from the Encore Gourmet Food Corp. in Montreal, Quebec Canada. Works pretty good too.

Last edited:
Back